Two more "would you`s"

John Gryphon

The pair of louts are at a distance of something like 650 yards,the single is around 350 yards..when I say around its just that I took a lot of pics and ranged them but cant effen remember exactly but its close enough ha ha.
I`m only asking simply to see what various opinions come up for the ranges on offer.
I know a mate here that runs a 30" barrel work of art in 308 Norma Magnum would have no hesitation at a meat harvest on one of the pair.

There has been a vandal at work too in the bush behind,rifle is my .358 Norma Mag.

358%20cherry_zpsomp8mbg1.jpg

boys%202_zpsybua4d7y.jpg

boys%207_zpsxpgh3ri1.jpg

Last edited:
Each to their own - single yes double no unless I managed act like a snail and get up to the tree next to them. :D

Now that would be real stalking!!!!

A bit far for me.

I'd walk around (however far that is) and approach from the cover of the gum trees in the background.

For me NO. I have not practised shooting at that distance and I would prefer to stalk in to a distance that I was comfortable shooting at and if that was not possible then I would prefer to leave them for another day.
Some may feel comfortable taking the shots so I say each to their own!

Not for me, no. I have no idea what my bullet drops are past 300yd so I'd have to have a wriggle in closer or pass it up.

I'd call in an air strike!

But saving that...depending on the wind....try to get closer or wait for another day and get there before them!

Good weather clean line of sight etc etc probably take on the single at 300yards but he doubles no chance.

Hi John

650 - not for me - let them go-let them grow!
Now 350 - well, if no chance whatsoever of closing down the distance, a good rest and as I replied on your previous 'Would you?' thread - if all affirmative and also looked/felt right in the scope, I might just squeeze on it.

L

I would want to get closer. I sniped a button roe buck last week - 150 plus yards. I was down the track and two popped out the woods. Lay down, good firm rest. Took a few minutes to confirm it was a button Buck - last light against dark background. And squeezed trigger. Easiest buck I have had for a long time. It's a new piece of ground and the owner wants them thinned as they are hammering new trees. There was a young doe next to him - probably twins and could have taken as well. A sense of satisfaction at a good clean shot, but no real achievement from a good stalk.

I'd still be recovering from the 3k drag having taken the 250 yder in your previous photo...so in the words or Duncan Balantine, 'I'm Oot'

Hey John just Out of interest no-one has asked the question "Would you have taken the shots John"?
So would you?

I am capable of doing so (brag :oops:) my rifles also but I do like to get closer and when close enough get closer again.

I told Loki that the closet one was an "almost" ,you know when seeing deer the finger gets itchy of course.

Truth be known I`m not into the LR stuff,blokes do it but its not for me.
300 yards isnt any big drama but getting in tight makes one shake a bit more..all for the better imo.

Bush stalking is great fun and getting close to sambar is a real thrill.
Seeing them at range is 'nice' but not the same.

Last edited:
I am capable of doing so (brag :oops:) my rifles also but I do like to get closer and when close enough get closer again.

I told Loki that the closet one was an "almost" ,you know when seeing deer the finger gets itchy of course.

Truth be known I`m not into the LR stuff,blokes do it but its not for me.
300 yards isnt any big drama but getting in tight makes one shake a bit more..all for the better imo.

Bush stalking is great fun and getting close to sambar is a real thrill.
Seeing them at range is 'nice' but not the same.

im the same , I'm capable as is my kit but much prefer to get in close and shoot a heap of them !

no to both ranges, to me its just two much of a risk, punching paper at range is one thing but live quarry is another matter. paper targets dont give you any pressure you know there not going anywhere you know there not going to move and you cant spoke them live quarry can and can pressure you into making mistakes, mistakes that the deer has to pay for

IME the range at which one has confidence shooting has to do with the range at which you regularly practice (or shoot quarry).

At times when I've had the opportunity to do a good deal of varmint/target shooting at distances from 500m-900m I have come to regard a 400m fox or deer as well within range in most conditions.

Nowadays, however, my practice and hunting ranges are limited by the terrain on my ground to 250m, and consequently that has become what I'm comfortable with.

If I went straight out into more open country today and had the chance of a deer at 400m, let alone 650m, I wouldn't be prepared (literally) to take the shot.

Back