Little Old Lady.

Silverfoxfintry

I was in Cabelles in Maine last week, drooling over the Pistols and remembering the day I had to surrender all of mine.
I was quite shock to see a frail old Lady struggling to rack the slide of (I think) a 9mm Self loading Pistol.
She just did not have the strength to load it.
I shudder to think of the consequences if she ever tried to use it.
While I think that our laws are too restrictive, I don't think I want to live in a society in which an old lady feels that she needs a Pistol to protect herself.
Silverfox

It's scary enough that we let some of them keep driving on the public highway!

Better though to be able to HAVE that choice than to have had that right to make that choice arbitrarily removed.

Legally we actually lost that right in 1948 to possess a firearm on an FAC.for "self defence", when that ceased to be a permitted "good reason". For in those "new" times the police would now protect us.

Seems, though, that the "contract" has failed to continue to be honoured as it was promised.

I hope the Cabela's salesperson was helpful enough to direct said little old lady to the showcases were the revolvers were kept? Much more suitable in terms of function for a little old lady. No slide to rack back, no fiddly stiff magazine to fill, no safety to put off or on and...the bonus....if you have any of it you have all of it!

I hope the Cabela's salesperson was helpful enough to direct said little old lady to the showcases were the revolvers were kept? Much more suitable in terms of function for a little old lady. No slide to rack back, no fiddly stiff magazine to fill, no safety to put off or on and...the bonus....if you have any of it you have all of it!

It does seem that revolvers have been largely usurped by the plastic semi auto, not that plastic semis are a bad thing but I have noticed on American public ranges that wheel guns seem thin on the ground in the states these days.

A nice little 2 shot derringer type would be ideal for her in .22 using HV stingers or hollows, double tap, Bingo!!

We once dealt with a call from a private care home. One of the residents had been found in possession of a pistol! It turned out to be a loaded baby Browning self loading pistol together with a few spare rounds of ammo.
That particular 'little old lady' , who was in her nineties, turned out to have been a member of the Special Operations Executive in WW11 and had always kept it with her 'just in case'.
Whilst we were obliged to relieve her of the pistol, it was a case for 'filed-no further action'. Moral of the story ? Never underestimate 'little old ladies'.

Last edited:
Thinking of 'little old ladies' and pistols has jogged another memory.
Back in 1994 I was out in South Africa working with the Independent Electoral Commission on the election that was held at the end of white minority rule and which resulted in Nelson Mandela becoming president. Political and common criminal killings were at an horrendous level.

On day one of the election, I recall an elderly white couple arriving at a polling station to cast their votes. They could have been anyone's Granny and Granddad.
'Granny' decided to go and cast her vote first, but before she did, she removed an enormous revolver from her handbag and handed it to her husband. Firearms were not permitted in a polling station you see. Another 'little old lady' not to be messed with!

I was in Cabelles in Maine last week, drooling over the Pistols and remembering the day I had to surrender all of mine.
I was quite shock to see a frail old Lady struggling to rack the slide of (I think) a 9mm Self loading Pistol.
She just did not have the strength to load it.
I shudder to think of the consequences if she ever tried to use it.
While I think that our laws are too restrictive, I don't think I want to live in a society in which an old lady feels that she needs a Pistol to protect herself.
Silverfox

If you knew how many murders, rapeists, and other reprobates were released from prison every day in the US, you would "feel the need".

Near where i live a little old lady was a murdered by a local junkie, the junkie was caught at at the trial it was revealed the the l/o/l had a small arsenal of mainly WW2 weapons throughout her home -all loaded . Apparently it took the police and bomb disposal 3 days to clear the house when her body was discovered.

I was in a gun range in Vegas a while back and while waiting for my brother and a mate to work through a few rounds on a m1 garand I was approached by an old lady (who later proudly told me she was 79 years young) and asked if I could help her load this damm thing as she pointed to a 9mm Berretta. I gladly helped her load the magazine as her hands wernt in great shape and as she blasted away I loaded her spare mag so she would have one ready at home if she needed it in a hurry.
I asked her did she think she really needed it to which I was told how much she hoped that the next time her house was burgled (3times in 18months) that she was at home and she would "teach the sons a bitches a lesson"..

scarry lady but but only almost as scarry as her grouping on the torso target au 10 yards��

I think some of you are missing the point I was trying to make.
I would not like to live in a society where it is deemed necessary for an Old Lady to arm herself.

I think that the point other people are making Silverfoxintry, is that, unfortunately, we already DO live in that society.

I think some of you are missing the point I was trying to make.
I would not like to live in a society where it is deemed necessary for an Old Lady to arm herself.
Here's the philosophical gap. As an American I see her as simply wanting a handgun and I can understand that. I sometimes want a new handgun (and it really doesn't matter the genre) purely because I want to shoot it. This woman may have shot handguns all her life and just has an interest, not the belief she needs one for self defense. I recently fondled a CZ Model 75 at the local Trading Post. A plain-jane 9mm. It had nothing to do with my desire for a weapon for self defense. I just wondered how it would shoot. You are equating handgun ownership with a desire to defend oneself. It isn't so among handgunners. Handgunning is a skill that requires dedication and practice. It is, for the most part, far more difficult than rifle shooting and accordingly, offers a heightened challenge to the shooter. That challenge in itself is enough to propel me to purchase a handgun. It has nothing to do with 'self defense'. ~Muir

I think that the point other people are making Silverfoxintry, is that, unfortunately, we already DO live in that society.

Exactly. There are some awful stories in the press of L/O/L being beaten or worse by burgulars etc. I reckon if youre going to let millions of people in from completely different cultures, war zones etc, the least you should do is to allow the population to arm themselves at the same time.

Look at the statistics of rape in Sweden from Recent Immigration policies. Apparently a lot of the blond Swedes dye their brown now.

We once dealt with a call from a private care home. One of the residents had been found in possession of a pistol! It turned out to be a loaded baby Browning self loading pistol together with a few spare rounds of ammo.
That particular 'little old lady' , who was in her nineties, turned out to have been a member of the Special Operations Executive in WW11 and had always kept it with her 'just in case'.
Whilst we were obliged to relieve her of the pistol, it was a case for 'filed-no further action'. Moral of the story ? Never underestimate 'little old ladies'.

One of my grandmother's friends lived in Joburg and kept a little pearl-handled revolver in her handbag. She was well into her nineties and still walking around with it last I heard of her.

Back