New permission

alwhitt94

I have just been given a piece of land that is about 12 acres but part of it is by a country road but you can't see into the land because it's surrounded by thick hedgerow but do you think I would be able to get permission for a .22 rimy?

Can't see why not. I mean, blimey, NWP gave me deer as my main "good reason" for .243 (despite me having written "fox" on my application form) based on a 1.5 acre strip alongside a busy road (not much more than a woody verge, really) and no deer within many, many miles. It just so happens to mention "the proprietors right to control deer" in my title deeds.

I have just been given a piece of land that is about 12 acres but part of it is by a country road but you can't see into the land because it's surrounded by thick hedgerow but do you think I would be able to get permission for a .22 rimy?

I have the same perm. 12 acres thick hedgerows on one side. Showed the FEO yesterday and he flat out said no on the grounds of ricochet and it being flatter than a pancake. That's in Lancashire for what it's worth.

I wouldn't think that being able to see into the land would be as important as the possibility of bits of lead leaving it. ;)

Irrespective of the safety aspects, do you actually have any suitable quarry on there to justify your 'good reason' - I don't think the pigeons you've mentioned on another thread would qualify.

I have the same perm.

Does the OP know you are both shooting there? Or are you referring to hairstyles? :D

I wouldn't think that being able to see into the land would be as important as the possibility of bits of lead leaving it. ;)

Irrespective of the safety aspects, do you actually have any suitable quarry on there to justify your 'good reason' - I don't think the pigeons you've mentioned on another thread would qualify.

Does the OP know you are both shooting there? Or are you referring to hairstyles? :D

haha. Set good. Which I had enough hair for a bloody perm.

So far I've got rabbit, hair, pigeon, pheasant and partridge and it's got a lot of hills for backstops

So what would be in question?

Your ability to recognise clear backstops, safe and unsafe shots, not taking reckless shots towards the road or other direction which may be of concern, keeping shots within your boundary, possible public access, rights of way etc....
Show your FEO that you are aware of all these situations, know your land and have it all covered then you should not have a problem

Ian

You may have all the said game on the land but you would only realistically be going for hare and rabbit with a .22, others would probably be with a shotgun.

You could identify the hot spot for the rabbits and erect a high seat adjacent the road so that you would be shooting away from the road and down into the ground, this would demonstrate to the feo checking the land that you are aware of backstops and safety with a .22 which is one of the worst calibers for ricochets.

You would also need to check for any rights of way or footpaths either on or near to the land and point these out at the site visit to the feo so again he/she can see you have took the time to check yourself as they will have done already prior to their visit.

Cheers guys for all the info I will be straight up there tomorrow and map it out I'm glad I asked now the worst thing you can do is look stupid in front of the FEO, I am new to this but I'm getting there

Cheers guys for all the info I will be straight up there tomorrow and map it out I'm glad I asked now the worst thing you can do is look stupid in front of the FEO, I am new to this but I'm getting there

Dont worry about looking stupid, nobody knows anything and if your FEO is like the one who visited me he probably won't even shoot game. 12 acres in a tight valley is vastly different to 12 acres of flat arable. If you don't ask you don't get :D

I think trying to to get an open ticket is the best way to go because from my point of view I feel that the land is safe to shoot on as long as you are aware :D

Back