Thread: Atv

Atv

I am needing to buy an ATV, something 4x4 with road kit.
    What makes do people recommend?

Honda Fourtrax 420 range is a good and reliable mid-sized ATV.

Whatever you decide on it's worth ensuring it's registered as a 'Light Agricultural Vehicle', either as new from the dealer or already done so by the previous owner. Benefits are that there is no requirement for an MOT and it will be RFL exempt (although you have to go through the motions every year). It doesn't have to be registered to a 'farming' address, nor is there any on-road-distance restriction provided it is used for 'agriculture, horticulture or forestry' work.

Excellent, thanks for the info!

I woukd probably look at a Kubota type thing compared to a quad I guess

Okay, but a side-by-side ATV won't qualify as a LAV

Light agricultural vehicles

For a vehicle to qualify as a light agricultural vehicle, it must:

• have a revenue weight not exceeding 1,000 kilograms
    • be designed and constructed so as to seat only the driver
    • be designed and constructed primarily for use otherwise than on roads
    • be used solely for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry

The revenue weight of a vehicle is either the maximum weight of the vehicle or the design weight as defined in section 60A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act.
    Quad bikes and similar single-seater machines used for agricultural, horticultural or forestry work are classed as light agricultural vehicles.

I started off with a quad but moved to a quadrilla tracker 800, I made the front screen hinged so it folds down, has rest bar across the front, plus road legal, great bit of kit. Only down side is the 800cc v twin is a bit noisy

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Honda Fourtrax 420 range is a good and reliable mid-sized ATV.

Whatever you decide on it's worth ensuring it's registered as a 'Light Agricultural Vehicle', either as new from the dealer or already done so by the previous owner. Benefits are that there is no requirement for an MOT and it will be RFL exempt (although you have to go through the motions every year). It doesn't have to be registered to a 'farming' address, nor is there any on-road-distance restriction provided it is used for 'agriculture, horticulture or forestry' work.
    I have a 420 fourtrax very good quad if you are towing with it a lot up and down hills consider 500/ and above though
    Norma

Double check the road kit and tax status, some you are only allowed to drive on roads during daylight as the lighting kit isn't deemed suitable for night time on UK roads

I have a John Deer Gator, road legal, very low hours <70 fully loaded, on a 2013 plate, selling it, if your interested not advertised as yet, just sitting in the barn doing nothing....

Here's one for you from a dealer I can highly recommend (35 miles north of London) Next to one of Malcolm's stalking grounds !!!!!

http://www.mkmagri.com/product.php/6739122/

or if you want a new Suzuki ATV and your a member of BASC your entitled to a further discount off the price.