Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Standing rights...sporting rights, any difference?

  1. #1

    Standing rights...sporting rights, any difference?

    Evening all, I've just acquired a new permission but have discovered a bit of an issue and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it. The land is almost surrounded by a commercial shoot and some years ago the owner of the permission sold the sporting rights to woodland that borders his land, also included in the agreement was permission for the holder of the sporting rights to stand guns on his land to cover and permission to retrieve. It specifically states which areas the sporting rights cover and it's not where I have permission to be, however I'm unsure as to whether the right to stand may convey the sporting rights to my permission in those areas. Anyone had similiar?

  2. #2
    Find out the shoot dates and get your self a peg (6a) as I sounds like you can not be excluded!

    Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

    The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

    You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...




  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Find out the shoot dates and get your self a peg (6a) as I sounds like you can not be excluded!

    Tim.243
    Hadn't even thought of that one! I'm sure they'll be very impressed if I show up ready for the day, I'll be ruffling someone's feathers shooting the land anyway, might as well include the real thing

  4. #4
    many years ago on the second drive, a 4x4 pulled up and the driver joined the end of the line, he had a few birds over him as the wind was blowing that way,
    at the end of the drive the rest of the guns assuming he was an extra guest were chatting to him,

    turns out he had just got a shotgun cert and assumed he could just join in

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    many years ago on the second drive, a 4x4 pulled up and the driver joined the end of the line, he had a few birds over him as the wind was blowing that way,
    at the end of the drive the rest of the guns assuming he was an extra guest were chatting to him,

    turns out he had just got a shotgun cert and assumed he could just join in
    spat some coffee out reading that

    I was on a shoot where the landowner fell out with his neighbour. At first it was a bit of a nuisance because we lost permission to stand guns all the way round one wood on an excellent drive, so had to make do with two sides. Then relations deteriorated and the neighbour started coming out to shoot his side of the wood with his sons.

    We had to agree that our landowner wouldn't shoot on that drive to get the neighbour to stop.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackd View Post
    Hadn't even thought of that one! I'm sure they'll be very impressed if I show up ready for the day, I'll be ruffling someone's feathers shooting the land anyway, might as well include the real thing
    I am up for an invite as that would suite my shooting, up the choke in the 325, some 34gm 5's to add a bit of reach and game on or game down as the case might be lol..........

    Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

    The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

    You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...




  7. #7
    Back to the question.

    Yes, they are two completely different things. All the "standing rights" does is to lawfully, in perpetuity, give the owner of this authority the right to stand and shoot on the land. It in no way gives them the right to wander round and shoot on the land.

    I have exactly the same with one field of mine, which gives the owner of the shooting rights on an adjoining covert the right to place guns on this particular field. It came about many years ago when the original owner sold off the land I now own, together with the sporting rights but wrote in the deeds the right to stand guns in this field to facilitate shooting the adjoining covert which he still owns.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    Back to the question.

    Yes, they are two completely different things. All the "standing rights" does is to lawfully, in perpetuity, give the owner of this authority the right to stand and shoot on the land. It in no way gives them the right to wander round and shoot on the land.

    I have exactly the same with one field of mine, which gives the owner of the shooting rights on an adjoining covert the right to place guns on this particular field. It came about many years ago when the original owner sold off the land I now own, together with the sporting rights but wrote in the deeds the right to stand guns in this field to facilitate shooting the adjoining covert which he still owns.
    Thanks for that, it's pretty much how I read it, but it's interesting to hear from others who have had similiar. I've visited there today and it's covered with birds, out of courtesy I've not shot any of them, the next step is to make contact with keeper and see if we can come up with maybe a vermin control/bird swap kind of deal.

  9. #9
    You may want to be careful not to encourage the keeper to believe that he has or might acquire any rights or permission at all relating to "your land". You don't want him dogging it in on a daily basis, but you might offer to do that for him before shoot days in exchange for shooting some of his vermin on his patch.

  10. #10
    or wait for the birds to trickle back later on in the day ,remember to stand a little off there pegs to insure you dont have to ask to pick up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-12-2014, 22:30
  2. Available Sporting rights from May 2014
    By Glen Cadwallader in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 10:52
  3. Stalking land/Sporting rights renting rates?
    By Tiff in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-03-2013, 11:31
  4. deer stalking rights / shooting rights
    By jas in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 12:58
  5. Putting A Price On Sporting Rights
    By wayneinthepub in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-12-2011, 23:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •