Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compulsory (regular) skills testing

Compulsory (regular) skills testing

This coming week I have my annual FC skills test. To me this is a fair and reasonable condition of my lease. I suspect that most other stalking leases do not require annual or even regular skills testing. Following this through, would regular skills testing be beneficial for deer welfare?
    Discuss!

I'm not sure I'd want testing to be a compulsory requirement (most will already have done the shooting test in DSC1) but I think it would be beneficial if all the members of a syndicate met up on an agreed day to collectively practice/zero/test rifles & any shortcomings that were discovered could be identified & rectified or worked on.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 08-10-2016 at 12:23.

Blog Entries
    It sounds fair enough; on FC land so need to play by the FC rules. Same for other leases if it's a condition.

Wouldn't like to see it as part of FAC renewal or similar though for no other reason that it could just turn into a money spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Co1 View Post
    It sounds fair enough; on FC land so need to play by the FC rules. Same for other leases if it's a condition.

Wouldn't like to see it as part of FAC renewal or similar though for no other reason that it could just turn into a money spinner.
    i wouldn't mind seeing the DSC1 becoming compulsory but no annual testing.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i wouldn't mind seeing the DSC1 becoming compulsory but no annual testing.
    Tend to agree.......I wouldnt object to some form of test come renewal time either.....if your not up to the job you shouldnt be doing it.

So was compulsory testing part of the recent FCS tender? Or is this specific to your lease?

I think its fair enough. I do worry when I hear people say that they can go all year on one box of ammo. I think if you want to be good at anything you need to practise, some may need more practise than others but it will still benefit everyone.

I wasn't thinking of it being linked to FAC conditions, however a framework for voluntary skills testing and accreditation would be relatively easily achieved by using the DSC1 shooting test as an industry standard. Organisations like BASC or BDS would be ideally placed at various range days around the country for members to be assessed and certified for a given period of time, whilst syndicates could easily run something similar on a private basis. Targets could be filed and notes made on safe weapon handling to support and protect the syndicate and syndicate member if an accident (heaven forbid) did occur.
    This mental process started after talking to some folk involved with skills testing for various organisations who were bemoaning the poor standards of safe rifle handling and marksmanship. It was a sobering thought that around 50% of folk who had put themselves forward for the skills testing had failed the test for either poor marksmanship or unsafe weapon handling. Scary thought dont you think?

Is the shooting test just like the dsc one? If so I really don't see what the point in doing an annual test is when you cannnot shoot for years then pass it pretty easily.

I guess if if your stalking you know which shots you will take and won't take sitting plinking on a range isn't going to be that beneficial if it's only once a year.

Where do you stop,there's a lot more to stalking than marksmanship, let's test on all aspects of stalking ,.let's test that everybody is following best practise, make sure all who stalk have a first aid certificate,make sure all have done a lone workers course, make sure all have done a course on manual lifting, ATV course.
    And there should probably be a minimum number of animals culled in a year to keep your certificate how many 50 probably not enough let's say 100 sent to a game dealer with all the relevant checks and record keeping, that should be just about enough to prove you are competent.

Of course I am being tongue in cheek, but do we really need more tests and bits of paper, there is already one organisation on record for saying they didn't thing DMQ 2 was of a high enough standard to be allowed to stalk deer unaccompanied, they would have liked for everyone to be tested to their standard on a yearly basis

Be careful what you wish for .

I like the fact that in Germany you have to get your hunting permit signed by the shooting cinema before hunting on state forestry, reassuring to know that everyone has had to do that, especially as some of them probably never touch a rifle for the rest of the year only to dust it off before the first day of the season..

on the same principal perhaps people should have to have similar before embarking on a days pheasant shooting, might sharpen up some rather slapdash shooting by people who only pick a gun up once a year and expect to hit stuff cleanly with it....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink