Buying replacement BP part

tony1

Can any tell me if you can order a replacement black powder cylinder for a muzzle loader over the internet or do you have to take your fire arms cert to the point of sale. :confused:

Can any tell me if you can order a replacement black powder cylinder for a muzzle loader over the internet or do you have to take your fire arms cert to the point of sale. :confused:

Not legally in the U.K. but I suppose you could order the replacement/additional cylinder from a country where there are either minimal or no restrictions on muzzle loading revolvers and their parts. However the part will usually be intercepted by customs in the post and also you will need a variation on your certificate to be able to possess and additional cylinder which you probably wouldn't need if you simply took your pistol to a gunsmith in the U.K. to fit a replacement (not additional) cylinder.

It still baffles me that you guys can buy suppressors over the counter but not a cylinder for a black powder revolver. We can order an entire BP revolver through the mail with no restrictions but need to have a complete and lengthy background check just to qualify for the ownership of a suppressor.:cuckoo:~Muir

Good news is that Henry Krank has most of the Italian stuff. Now is this a REPLACEMENT cylinder or a SPARE cylinder?

Some police authorities may permit a damaged cylinder to be replaced with a new cylinder IF the whole revolver was on your FAC and if the seller of the new cylinder retained the old cylinder without need for paperwork.

On the analogy that a worn out barrel on a rifle could be replaced by having a new one fitted if, again, the gunsmith retained the worn out barrel. Without need for any variation. Your gunsmith books in the rifle 'for repair' and then when done returns it back to you with worn barrel replaced.

However as with all things on this cylinder matter check with YOUR police authority.

Last edited:
Hi Muir, if by suppressor you mean what we call a sound moderator, unfortunately, they are on licence. Ridiculous really as it's just a metal tube that is no use without being attached to a firearm.

It still baffles me that you guys can buy suppressors over the counter but not a cylinder for a black powder revolver. We can order an entire BP revolver through the mail with no restrictions but need to have a complete and lengthy background check just to qualify for the ownership of a suppressor.:cuckoo:~Muir

As gunner has already pointed out Muir you are under a misapprehension we can't simply buy moderators over the counter, they are strictly controlled and treated in exactly the same way as firearms in the U.K.
The exception being moderators for air rifles for which there are no controls whatsoever.

As gunner has already pointed out Muir you are under a misapprehension we can't simply buy moderators over the counter, they are strictly controlled and treated in exactly the same way as firearms in the U.K.
The exception being moderators for air rifles for which there are no controls whatsoever.
Ahh, in comparison we can though. Once we have tge slot on the ticket, we can go to any gunshop and buy any mod. No 7 month+ background check to get your 'tax stamp', and as far as i am aware, you have to put the exact model, bore and serial number on the application, no 'shall i get this one or that one' we have the pleasure of

Ahh, in comparison we can though. Once we have tge slot on the ticket, we can go to any gunshop and buy any mod. No 7 month+ background check to get your 'tax stamp', and as far as i am aware, you have to put the exact model, bore and serial number on the application, no 'shall i get this one or that one' we have the pleasure of

True, but I'd happily trade our relatively easier moderator/suppressor purchasing for the option of being able to browse the gun shops and buy without jumping through the hoops. I have never really come to terms with the fact that we can just buy as many shotguns as you wish just by having your shotgun certificate, but if you fancy changing your rifle from a .243 to a 6.5 then you are back jumping through hoops.

Tramp I was under the impression perhaps mistakenly, that legislation on moderators in several states had been slightly relaxed in the last year.
The federal tax stamp on moderators (suppressors/mufflers to use American speak) was the same as for automatic arms wasn't it? I'm sure that Muir can help us out on that one.

States have relaxed their stance on usage, but the purchase is still a Federal issue: Back ground checks lasting up to 6-8 months, a $200 Tax stamp, and unless the suppressor is set up in a 'trust' strict rules on who can use it. (only the person for which the stamp was issued) Yes. Automatic weapons require the exact same check and stamp.~Muir

Back