Pink Foot recipe

Rasputin

Anyone have a nice recipe for Pinks? I shot two this evening and would like to do something with them. Last time I tried to roast them they were pretty much borderline fit for the dog. It even then he wasn't keen about it.

So open to all idea,s

Thanks

Two ways i cook game are hot and quick, or low and slow

Hot n quick ?,
Pluck breast and breast out the fillets then treat as a steak and flash fry medium , and rest the meat..... To me it's reminiscent of beef
Butterfly them if want them thinner , cooked evenly
Or cube out and stir fry ?

Slow n low
Remove all the meat and dice it then slow cooker with whatever takes your fancy

Can't advise on roasting as if limited experience with that.

Paul

I asked a pretty famous game chef the same question and he recommended smoking the breasts, I haven't tried it yet though

cheers

Hmmmm don't have a smoker sadly otherwise they would have be a winner. Last time I over roasted it and TBH it tasted so poor it nearly put me off shooting them.

Do you brine them Sauer? I heard that can help. Saw a slow cook cider recipe which sounded nice and sweet.

Smoked goose is always nice but take a bit of work to get it right.
But here are a couple of suggestions: breast the geese, then brine the meat in a brine made from;- 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of golden sugar, juice of one lemon, juice of one orange, 1 litre of water [boil all ingredient together and allow to cool] brine for 1 hour.
Then place the breasts into an oiled baking tin with lid, cover in belly pork and roast in a slow oven until most of the fat has rendered out of the belly pork. The goose will be very tender and moist and fantastic as a Sunday dinner with all the usual trimmings.
Second: using the same brine mix but with the addition of 1 tbsp. of chilli and 1 tablespoon of dry ginger, brine the breast cut into cubes for 1 hour, then dry and lightly oil and leave for another hour or longer in fridge, place on barbeque and cook until ready[I like my meat pink] serve with flat bread and salad.
The brined uncooked meat can be frozen for 6 months no problem and I make my brine in 1 gallon amounts and keep in demijohns and use as much as I need, 1 lt to 1kg meat.
One final thing, I always add 1 tsp of salt peter to every gallon, save getting nasties when I leave the brined meat in fridge for long periods of time.

I have dozens of recipes from cold smoked to hot smoked and everything in-between.
I find they are best treated like venison and hung correctly before breast removal, if I cannot hang them, I mince them and use in Sausage, kielabasa, or such like.
Once hung, some breast spoil where pellets have ruptured the guts etc, but the hung product make losing one or two worth while.
Brining most birds improves them, in fact I brine every bird barring Grouse and Grey Partridge.
I am lucky in that nearly all the meat I eat is either shot or reared by me and we get pleanty of practice cooking it and feeding unsuspecting clients to find out their reactions!

d55825452e93ce55ccdf5a468e9083c6.png

Found this
Think it was Scott Rea of Scott rea project I got it from .....is this any good for generic brine mix ? ( should be if Scotts!)
I've heard it even improves chicken etc ....how long do you leave meat in the brine for ?

Paul

Last edited:
I use to used my nan's one ! it was the same one we used for brent goose way back when ! .place your bird in the centre of two well made objects
then slow cook for three hours remove from the oven throw the bird away then eat the bricks :eek: hmmmm clay bird fat roasted bricks its the only real way to eat them ?:rofl:

Some great ideas here. I like the ginger and chilli one I have a penchant for spice.

Will make the brine in am and get them in.

Paul the last one I cooked was as tough as that brick gaha

I have dozens of recipes from cold smoked to hot smoked and everything in-between.
I find they are best treated like venison and hung correctly before breast removal, if I cannot hang them, I mince them and use in Sausage, kielabasa, or such like.
Once hung, some breast spoil where pellets have ruptured the guts etc, but the hung product make losing one or two worth while.
Brining most birds improves them, in fact I brine every bird barring Grouse and Grey Partridge.
I am lucky in that nearly all the meat I eat is either shot or reared by me and we get pleanty of practice cooking it and feeding unsuspecting clients to find out their reactions!

maybe daft question but do you leave the skin on to brine?

Not a daft question at all and I should have pointed to this , if the bird is plucked brine as is, but if you breast the bird, like most do with geese and pigeons then brine them in either a weaker brine solution or for a shorter period, then leave to dry out of brine for an equal amount of time for the brine to equalise.

:rofl: that's why we we loved to lick the bricks they did't hurt you teeth :rofl:

Some great ideas here. I like the ginger and chilli one I have a penchant for spice.

Will make the brine in am and get them in.

Paul the last one I cooked was as tough as that brick gaha

Jus to update brined the breasts for 48 hours.

One in the chilli brine which I then pan fried. Tasted like slightly better quality shoe leather.
Second one normal brine oven cooked in honey, ginger and soy mix... Tasted a little better.

The other two breasts I brined in their respective juices and have left them in the oven to make jerky/possibly dog chews will report back when i know whats going on.

Ras

Hi i find when i have a lot its best to mince the Brest and make burgers. add some streaky bacon to the mix. and season to your taste. its also the quickest when you have 20 to 30 a day. pinks are the tastiest of the geese to eat. bon apatite:popcorn:

Back