Darne Shotguns

Can't think that I've heard of them. French, I see. Most French guns of the past had a bit of a different look to English guns, so probably they were never imported to the UK before. Look quite nice though.

They used, too, to be popular in Ireland. An ideal walking up gun in that they are much lighter weight that a conventional side by side and yet, for walking up, that they are slower to load makes no difference. Same sort of good handling, then, as a good quality muzzle loading side by side might have had.

They come in a wide variety of grades from all engraved to plain and claim a benefit of the feature that the cartridges fire perpendicular to and aligned with the bore rather than "at an angle" to the bore as on most every other side by side or over and under.

On a conventional driven day, or pigeons over decoys, they would be a serious handicap and, in truth, slower IMO than even a non-ejector top lever break open side by side. They were imported into UK many years ago...that you don't see them shows how unadaptable they were to how we mostly shoot in the UK.

Last edited:
I can't say that - with the extensive metalwork - I find the side-by-sides particularly attractive, but that's probably due to unfamiliarity.

That key lever would also take some getting used to. I have enough trouble switching between shotguns with single and double triggers, so I'd doubtless be all thumbs with one of these!

I had a darne shotgun for a few years. Sold it two years ago. I thought I would love it. I ended up disliking it so much I sold it. There are disadvantages outweighed the advantages. I went back to Beretta silver pigeon and couldn't be happier.

They are very light. The are a real PITA to takedown. You can pinch your hand in the lock up. They don't throw the empties like a proper ejector. For me the double trigger was the wrong length just like a Baikal double. Fire too many shots you'll warp the wood on the forend.

My advice stay away from the sliding breach, there is a reason why they are not popular.

Yes I did mine on a boot or carpet with a bit of give. Seriously the most awkward procedure to do at home, let alone in some muddy raining field. Seriously stay away from them.

Even to get action out requires you to push a small lever under the action when it's almost open over the pistol grip and pushing the lever forward without pinching your palm. God that thing was a nightmare.

If you must go sliding breach then charlin is a better French gun imo.

I didn't think there was a significant difference. So not the same design under a different name, then?

In any case, thanks for insisting on how bad they are. I missed out on a really nice one a couple of months ago because West Mids/ Staffs took too long to renew my SGC and have been sulking about it ever since!

The charlin has ball bearings and a heavier sliding breach so it slides much smoother than a darne based on my observation when I put both side by side to compare. Don't sulk, think about how much frustration you saved yourself.

You won't see me pay that for a darne. Should of asked him to take it down to fit in the case and then watch him drop the price by 90% as he takes the skin off his knuckles and bashes the muzzle on his polished floorboards lol!

If anyone really really wants a French iconic shot gun I've a Manufrance Model 28E for sale. It's a side by side, easy opening boxlock ejector, in 16 bore. The easy opening comes from the French version of Holland's spring tube housed between the barrels between them and the fore-end. A true French classic and a lot less faff!

I have a Darne V19 'Plume' 12 bore side by side. The plume models have no bottom rib to save weight. Sure, it's not my go to gun for a driven day, but it's a lovely thing to own.

Thanks for all the responses guys it's great to get some first hand experiences.

It seems that perhaps like French women these are things of beauty that can be fun for a weekend away and will get you admiring glances from your friends but to live with one might be just a little too frustrating.

I must admit I'm still tempted though.

Jim

Back