I want to get back into Stalking :D

Hi everyone!

So to cut a long story short, I've been shooting and hunting since I was around 10. I've had both a SGC and an FAC in the past. The FAC was full of conditions however, and it was very restrictive. I had a mentorship condition on it. Essentially I could never really get out and shoot, even with the rimfire, and have only ever taken 1 deer in the UK. I could do as much as I wished with the shotgun, but it would cost me money to shoot rifle with my mentor.

Anyway I gave up my FAC when I moved to Canada. I have done lots of hunting out here, however if I do move home next year, I'd like to really get back into stalking. Perhaps I can apply for an FAC with an open condition on it, as well as getting my DSC1 before I apply.

What would be my best course of action? I want to keep on hunting, but without spending boat loads of money and having an FAC again with so many restrictive conditions.

Thanks!

I doubt you'd have as much difficulty if you came back with more experience but you'd still need land on which 'to shoot or buy let days....

There are 18 Million acres in Victoria for deer hunting,bows welcome.

Wowsers! I loved Victoria when I lived in Oz back in 2005-6 and if I went back thats definitely where I'd live. Another reason right there hehe! :D

To the OP - Getting your DSC1 will definitely help you a lot and fortunately a lot of the really restrictive conditions that were being applied a few years such as mentoring ago have rightly been consigned to the dustbin!

I got my first FAC earlier this year (and had my DSC1 in the bag) and I was granted a .308 plus Mod, deer/fox & AOLQ, target shooting and expanding ammo on a closed certificate.

All that really means is I have to check any land I shoot over is cleared for .308 but other than that I can fill my boots. And generally speaking tickets are opened on first renewal though apparently circumstances can be taken into account before then.

As and when you return I'd get your DSC1 and book onto a few paid stalks (PM sikamalc on here - he is an absolute legend and has forgotten more than most will ever know about hunting, and he has shooting rights on various estates in the UK so will hopefully be able to help you out) which will give you your good reason for applying.

Once you have your ticket then its up to you to seek your permissions! Depending on where you end up living you may find this easier or harder and more or less expensive.

Unfortunately in the South East land is at a premium and from what I've heard a lot of people will end up paying some sort of annual fee for the land they shoot over. The further away you get from the commuter belt the easier it may be to a) find land and b) not pay over the moon for it.

I did hear on here about someone paying £7k a year for 150 acres in Surrey...

Good luck with your search!

If you've been shooting and hunting since age 10, you should have no issue in your application provided that you have somewhere to shoot. Having a DSC L1, given your experience, is of very little value with regard to obtaining a FAC. The fact of the matter is that it should have no bearing whatsoever on your application.

If you have no land, do as suggested, book some stalking with guys on here.

Having a DSC1 will definately help buy is not a condition, I re applied for my SG and FAC after years abroad, and put paid stalking as my reason to aquire, and it went through no problems and it is an open cert, joining a target shooting club would also help, and it gives you somewhere to zero your rifles, if you have guns out there plan to bring them with you or sent to a RFD for storage depending on cost etc,, buying new here is NOT cheap
Best of luck
Ray

Thank you for all the fantastic advice. I want to get the DSC1 and 2. I know there is no official requirement to have it, but I want it just because...

Reckon I'll apply for a .308 on an open cert then, and pay for a few stalks.

I had a FAC for target shooting for 5 years before applying for a .270 for deer. I already had the DSC1 and had done a fair bit of paid stalking. The only thing they wanted was to see that I had a stalk booked in the future. I guess that shows 'good reason' but its a bit academic in my view.

Back