Swazi Tahr XP or Swazi Wapiti - Which one?

lambic

If you were buying one with a clean slate, which would you go for?

Hoping to use as a stalking jacket in conjunction with layering system and also as a wading jacket for fishing.

The plan is to sell old stalking and wading jackets and buy a high quality multitasker.

Sounds like a question Mr WillieGunn can answer ...

Cheers

Neither mate. I never wore my swazi tahr for wading, too long and the wapiti, nice jacket, but if you do much crawling about on your belly, the tahr would be better.

I suppose you could put your waders over your tahr....

If you were buying one with a clean slate, which would you go for?

Hoping to use as a stalking jacket in conjunction with layering system and also as a wading jacket for fishing.

The plan is to sell old stalking and wading jackets and buy a high quality multitasker.

Sounds like a question Mr WillieGunn can answer ...

Cheers

Both good jackets. Main differences are the Tahr has very few pockets and has a partial front zip, while the Wapiti has loads of pockets and full length front zip. So Tahr probably better stalking wise and Wapiti better fishing wise.
Generally best to buy direct from Swazi, but the poor exchange rate currently means you won't get a great deal!

Aye, but I get paid in USD so cannot grumble!

From fishing perspective, will be used in autumn for salmon with Chest waders. So either could be tucked inside with no problems at all.

It does need pockets which are accessible around nipple level though, to be a decent fishing jacket as well. Does the Wapiti allow this? Appears the Tahr XP fails on this point?

Thanks for info.

Never handled any Swazi clothing, but have just ordered some 4wd trousers and a few other small bits. Hopefully get a chance to try them soon.

Going to hold fire on the major purchase of Tahr or Wapiti until sure which one is right for me. Even then, will have to guess the size.

Last edited:
I have both.
If using thigh waders then Wapiti is great, it's longer than a lit of coats in this style therefore doesn't ride up and let drips in through the top of the waders when walking/climbing about.

If predominantly chesties then the Tahr can be quickly folded up from the drawstring waist and fits well inside without bulk due to the lack of lower bellows pockets. It's all I use with chest waders these days. Very versatile.
Sizing is generous too.

Thanks Rigboot. I am 100% sure that I will go for the Wapiti. I use thigh for trout and chest for salmon, but I'm sure I can get the Wapiti to work with chesties.

Just need to determine what size I am. I have ordered an XXL "The Hood". I assume if this fits to my taste, then I should order an XXL Wapiti? Or do you order the next size up, so XXXL out layer?

Thanks Rigboot. I am 100% sure that I will go for the Wapiti. I use thigh for trout and chest for salmon, but I'm sure I can get the Wapiti to work with chesties.

Just need to determine what size I am. I have ordered an XXL "The Hood". I assume if this fits to my taste, then I should order an XXL Wapiti? Or do you order the next size up, so XXXL out layer?

See how you go on size. They are generous.
Order the same size, as its a layering system from base layers to outer layer each layer is slightly longer than the previous. If that makes sense. So nothing sticks out below the outer layer.

Jon

Yes, that makes sense. Shame the current prices are so high but cannot see exchange rates improving for at least 2-3 years, so no point stalling I guess

Aye, but I get paid in USD so cannot grumble!

From fishing perspective, will be used in autumn for salmon with Chest waders. So either could be tucked inside with no problems at all.

It does need pockets which are accessible around nipple level though, to be a decent fishing jacket as well. Does the Wapiti allow this? Appears the Tahr XP fails on this point?

Thanks for info.

Never handled any Swazi clothing, but have just ordered some 4wd trousers and a few other small bits. Hopefully get a chance to try them soon.

Going to hold fire on the major purchase of Tahr or Wapiti until sure which one is right for me. Even then, will have to guess the size.

Surely if you ou tuck your waterproof shell into your waders and it ****es down, all the water is going to run inside your waders?

Very true. I'm thinking about just letting it hang loose outside the wader and submerging it in the water. Don't like wading too deep anyway, learnt the hard way

Just pricing up the Wapiti, it is 85 GBP more than the top of the range Hilltrek products. 445 GBP vs 360 GBP. Surprised by this. Hilltrek are only 15 miles drive from home as well.

Anybody have any knowledge about "Cotton Analogy" vs "Double Ventile" vs "Whatever Swazi use" - either in theory or practice?

Just educated myself trawling through this forum and Bushcraft UK. Well, from my elementary understanding, Paramo and Ventile sandwich seems to be a good thing.

Plus Ray Mears apparently is a big fan of Ventile....say no more.

Just educated myself trawling through this forum and Bushcraft UK. Well, from my elementary understanding, Paramo and Ventile sandwich seems to be a good thing.

Plus Ray Mears apparently is a big fan of Ventile....say no more.

Check the garment weights before you commit. You may find you are back to lugging a 2-3kg coat round with you... Not good!

I love Ray mears but remember, he is probably sponsored by the clothing manufacturers and will wear what gives him an income.

1.15kg Dry Weight, slightly less than the Wapiti. Maybe double that once the ventile has absorbed the water?

True.

Had a look at the Kenai and the Yukon Vipa. Kenai not for me, but he Yukon looks good. Did you take the full 35% customs hit on it?

Nearly the same price as Hilltrek and Wapiti ...

Back