Reloading manuals

DC .270

I'm looking for a little advice on reloading manuals in general i.e. which one is worth investing in the most.

I have a .270 sako 85 synthetic stainless and have tried some of the loads discussed in previous threads. It may be due to my amateur approach to the whole reloading set up (hopefully not) but I'm struggling to get groups tighter than I can with federal factory rounds.

I have a bag of once fired, and a bag of new winchester brass, CCI large rifle primers, and a box of 130gn sierra game king and a box of 130gn nosler accubond to start finding the sweet sopt.

Any advice on either the ideal manual or any further advice on load construction would be greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance, DC .270

DC. The Lee manual has been widely recommended in threads already. It's a good read and a good reference book. I have it and the Hornady manual as I like to use Hornady's bullets and dies. Rgds JCS

Try the One book/one load small manual for specific calibers, I have the 270, 243, 223, and the 7x57, the 270 has 58 differant powders for 65 various bullets, try http://www.loadbooks.com I paid about £8 each, try google search etc for prices. Or major powder and bullet manufacturers websites for load data. deerwarden :tiphat:

I would agree that the Hornady Manual is very good, only issue I have with it is that it is missing the one bullet that I reload which i only found out after i got the thing home :lol:

I'm just about to start reloading for the .270 again after a few years. i checked out my old load data from my last one and it reminded me that i used a magnum primer to get best results. if you try this remember to reduce your loads to start with then work back up.
i used reloader 22 and sierra pro hunter 130gn.

Hope this helps, Ezzy

DC .270

Just follow Muir's threads.

Get a Lee manual as it is the "Guide". Then get either manuals or download the FREE data for your specific calibre. Powder manufacturer first, bullet manufacturer second.

Not a lot of expense.

Stan

:thumb: Stan! What bullet you shoot is of no consequence: a 150 grain 30 caliber Speer uses the same data as a 150 grain Nosler. It's all physics. I like the Lee book because it was written in conjunction with powder makers. ~Muir

Stan!, I won a Speer Reloading Manual a long time ago at the borders stalkers shoot and it has been an invaluable guide to me, all the powder makers will suplly you with the current load data.

Dry Powder.

Barry

+1 on the Hodgen site tables. I only use Varget and H4350 so this is an invaluable resource.

D.C.
Don’t worry eveerybody as been here,
I load for .270 and using H4350 and I used the Hodgdon web site for referance,
You will find the sweet spot but it will take time.

smithy

The problem with websites is that it teaches you nothing about reloading; only data. (I use Hodgdon's quite a bit.) The Lee book has huge amounts of information regarding density loading, reduced loads, internal ballistics.... lots of stuff for the novice and experienced reloader as well.JMHO ~Muir

Last edited:
The problem with websites is that it teaches you nothing about reloading; ~Muir

My thoughts exactly. I still find it amazing and frightening how many people on here, and on other sites aparently load without a manual.
It certainly reinforces my own personal rules of never using anyone elses reloads, and never letting anyone else use theirs in my rifle.
PS, I'd also expect no one to ever let me use mine in their rifle.

Harry: I was at the range tonight with a Buddy of mine and my Model 27 S&W .357 Magnum. A fellow standing near us offered to let me try his .357 loads in my gun and I was very blunt about it: "Thanks, but I never shoot anyone else's handloads." He looked a little taken aback and then said, "Probably a smart move!"

I also am a bit worried about all the people on-line (everywhere, not just here) that don't use a manual, nor have they ever read one. Everything they know they got from "mentors" or The Internet.

I used to teach basic reloading classes when I worked at a gunshop in New Mexico many pre-internet years ago. One of the prerequisites was that you had a reloading manual and had read it. Some of the people on this site, I'm sorry to say, have less understanding about basic reloading practices and safety than those "beginners" did at my classes.~Muir

:thumb: Stan! What bullet you shoot is of no consequence: a 150 grain 30 caliber Speer uses the same data as a 150 grain Nosler. It's all physics. I like the Lee book because it was written in conjunction with powder makers. ~Muir

I'm aware of the physics of gravity but wandered if there was any difference in varying the load to suit a particular projectile fligh path. i.e. regardless that the load data may be the same for any choice of projectiles with the same mass, and that they produce similar pressures and muzzle velocities. I wonder whether the varied bullet shapes and constructions have any significant down range differences, albeit still working with 130 gn constant..

Probably splitting hairs for the sake of two 130gn bullets though I agree!

Last edited:
The problem with websites is that it teaches you nothing about reloading; only data. (I use Hodgdon's quite a bit.) The Lee book has huge amounts of information regarding density loading, reduced loads, internal ballistics.... lots of stuff for the novice and experienced reloader as well.JMHO ~Muir

Lee seems to be a popular choice - I'm, looking at getting this one later today I think. Thanks Muir et al.

D.C.
Don’t worry eveerybody as been here,
I load for .270 and using H4350 and I used the Hodgdon web site for referance,
You will find the sweet spot but it will take time.

smithy

Hi Smithp18,

I was reading about H4350 and was curious if anyone on here used it. I'll be in touch I think once I've run out of H4831

Thanks,

DC

Gents,

Thanks for all the good help, and advice.

I'll post the results of this new quest/ venture into the world of sub 1/2" homeload accuracy.

Thanks again.

DC

Back