Grouse moors

18,927 signatures doesn`t seem a lot of support for this when you consider the amount of people involved with field sports generally, but looks like the Government ( committee of ) have paid a little attention
Never the less one in the eye for that "Buffoon" Packham and his disciples :thumb:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164851?reveal_response

Bob

Agreed Bob, a poor response from the shooting community, good news however, but make no mistake Avery, Packham and their ilk, will be looking for any opportunity to discredit our way of life.

Yes I'm guilty of this but now have just signed. Grouse shooting brings a lot of money to the moorlands any ban on shooting of one type will only encourage the anti shooting lobby.

Mind you the RSPB moors have the worst record for breeding harriers and as we all know the only reason they don't breed ....................................

David.

Yes I saw this - a good outcome and response from the government but it is a bit frustrating that so few people signed it from our side!

To some extent I can understand it. It feels like these days if you like guns, shooting and hunting then at best people will think you odd and at worst you'll have the hemp wearing beardy crew on your case hounding you on social media!!

Agreed Bob, a poor response from the shooting community, good news however, but make no mistake Avery, Packham and their ilk, will be looking for any opportunity to discredit our way of life.

Jim
We`re under pressure constantly as we all know from the TV know buggerall brigade, but bloody hell there should be at least 144,500 signatures on that petition from BASC members alone !

Bob

Just stop killing raptors!

Perhaps you should hand all the evidence you have to the police to get a conviction, the other more realistic and documented (RSPB filming/nest survey) reason for hen harrier deaths is inclement weather and predation

Too bloody brazen for my palate. Not a comment that should be seen on this forum. Whoever the new member is he needs to learn a lot.

:evil:

Perhaps you should hand all the evidence you have to the police to get a conviction, the other more realistic and documented (RSPB filming/nest survey) reason for hen harrier deaths is inclement weather and predation

Broc
I think the problem is that, a lot (NOT ALL) but a lot of people now don`t have any knowledge or shooting background to pull on, they haven`t been brought up with the sporting etiquette and are happy just to have a dabble at a few deer a year and an odd day at pheasants etc just happy to join in with a few others of the same ilk , and I think that's why we haven`t got the numbers signing these petitions that we should have

It`s a case of well those in the know will do the fighting for us, and yes we in the know will fight for the right to carry on with our sport but I do wish that the ill informed and the ignorant would keep their misguided and surreptitious comments to themselves

As a note if my comments offend anyone reading this then I`ve succeeded in what I set out to achieve and I really don`t give a toss because if you are offended then your probably one of the ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA brigade who are willing to take advantage from the hard work done by those that do care and are passionate about our field sports

Akeld

I agree with you my friend your 100% correct with your statement

I`ll wager whoever the person is has no evidence whatsoever and is just on here to stir things up, like the sly old fox he`s made the fatal mistake of breaking cover !

Bob

The bird lobby are at war with the shooting community because raptors are being killed to protect grouse, pheasants and partridges so that paying guns can shoot them. If keepers continue to kill Schedule 1 species the war will continue, with the bird lobby will continuing to push for an end to shooting. Plain enough for you? I've been a full time keeper for 30yrs.

The bird lobby are at war with the shooting community because raptors are being killed to protect grouse, pheasants and partridges so that paying guns can shoot them. If keepers continue to kill Schedule 1 species the war will continue, with the bird lobby will continuing to push for an end to shooting. Plain enough for you? I've been a full time keeper for 30yrs.

So you have been a Gamekeeper for thirty years! Welcome to the club, a little bit longer in my case,post assisting HM govt.
You say raptors are being killed to protect game, as someone else has said "If you can prove it notify the relevant authorities".
If not, keep your opinions to yourself and don't post them on here, we have enough people trying to demonise keepers without (supposedly) one of our own jumping on the bandwagon.
As you may or may not know all our associations are vehemently against illegal acts, and ostracize anyone found guilty.
The RSPB will always try their luck but so many of their stories are flights of imagination and they can't prove them, as are the RSPCA's with their anti hunting stance.
Again as someone said the RSPB have an awful record in protecting the Hen Harrier and more nests fledged on Langholm and other keepered moors than on any of their ground. I have worked with the rarest of Schedule one birds and still produced grouse and pheasants (and pairs of eagle chicks ,a rarity) so don't try and tell me that a lot of shooting people are killing raptors,without some sort of proof. And don't post anymore such drivel on this excellent forum.

:old: Broc

So you have been a Gamekeeper for thirty years! Welcome to the club, a little bit longer in my case,post assisting HM govt.
You say raptors are being killed to protect game, as someone else has said "If you can prove it notify the relevant authorities".
If not, keep your opinions to yourself and don't post them on here, we have enough people trying to demonise keepers without (supposedly) one of our own jumping on the bandwagon.
As you may or may not know all our associations are vehemently against illegal acts, and ostracize anyone found guilty.
The RSPB will always try their luck but so many of their stories are flights of imagination and they can't prove them, as are the RSPCA's with their anti hunting stance.
Again as someone said the RSPB have an awful record in protecting the Hen Harrier and more nests fledged on Langholm and other keepered moors than on any of their ground. I have worked with the rarest of Schedule one birds and still produced grouse and pheasants (and pairs of eagle chicks ,a rarity) so don't try and tell me that a lot of shooting people are killing raptors,without some sort of proof. And don't post anymore such drivel on this excellent forum.

:old: Broc
Well said

Yes we know why they want rid of shooting, but evidence and convictions are thin on the ground

The RSPB have been unbelievebly misguided and the birders I know have been responsible, in their early years as egg collectors, for the death of many birds themselves. They are both driven by hate of fieldsprots. However, the RSPB are beginning to offer contracts for the removal of predators to protect ground nesting birds in certain areas of the country. This is a massive step forwards on their behalf. The groups are beginning to sit in the same room together. The extremes on either side are a big distraction though. I've heard the arguments from both sides. I've also supported the controls proposed by removing certain birds legally from moors although that sadly seems to have lost its momentum. The next step is an end to the killing Schedule 1 birds without licences, so stop killing raptors.

Back