Remembrance poppy lapel pin made from Somme shell fuses

We got one for the wife's dad,his grandad was killed on the somme in 16.It comes with an in memory card with one of the fallen named on it,never knew this when we ordered it don't know if it's possible to get one named after a relative.

It is possible to order one with a specific name on it. This came in the order confirmation mail
If you have ordered a Somme 1916 Poppy Lapel Pin and would like a certificate commemorating the life of a particular person that fell in the Battle of the Somme, please reply to this email and we will send you an information form to complete. As the Somme 1916 pins are pre-collated with a certificate, if you request a personalised certificate it may be delivered separately to your pin.

Albeit sold out, but they do some similar cuff links which look very nice as well.

Got the wife one that also has the ribbon they are worth every penny .not sure it is the same one but stunning artwork.

While the Royal British Legion has my total support for the Remembrance of The Fallen I think this is in the most hideous taste possible. Each shell fired may easily have been directly responsible for the death and injury of many German soldiers, each of whom should also be remembered and their sacrifice treated with the respect it deserves. Using British fuse casings in particular seems almost gloating, but to me the premise of using recovered fragments of something that was directly used for the purpose of killing enemy soldiers is entirely repugnant

While the Royal British Legion has my total support for the Remembrance of The Fallen I think this is in the most hideous taste possible. Each shell fired may easily have been directly responsible for the death and injury of many German soldiers, each of whom should also be remembered and their sacrifice treated with the respect it deserves. Using British fuse casings in particular seems almost gloating, but to me the premise of using recovered fragments of something that was directly used for the purpose of killing enemy soldiers is entirely repugnant

He shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. Isiah 2:3-4

They seem very appropriate to me. It would have made more sense to use both British and German shells, but I can see why they didn't.

I find it macabre in the extreme. I was born and brought up in Germany in the early '70s, and memories of both Wars were still fresh in many, many people's minds. Perhaps that changes my perspective, but I consider it to be in very bad taste if not actually quite offensive to many

Woodsmoke

I think you have missed the point, the Battle of the Somme is not referred to as an example of glorifying war, it is used to complete opposite, it is used as an example of the futility of certain tactics as well as the definition of stupidity (repeating the same actions and expecting a different outcome). The battle resulted in C500,000 casualties on both sides with little or no strategic or tactical gain.

By reworking an inanimate object that was used to inflict damage to commemorate the sacrifice is very penitent and even more so as the artillery barrages became a symbolism of the war. Each pin also includes some soil from the battlefield in the paint. Should we also be outraged because it insults all the people who drowned in the liquid mud or buried alive.

Why use British fuzes, because we are commemorating British loss. If we used German fuzes it maintains the conflict between the two.

tikka_madras

I appreciate your support but by dragging religion in by quoting from the Torah, doesn’t really help on either side of an argument.

tikka_madras

I appreciate your support but by dragging religion in by quoting from the Torah, doesn’t really help on either side of an argument.

I can understand that but I disagree. This is still a nominally Christian country, and the services of remembrance are overwhelmingly Christian. That religion has a very often quoted phrase about turning weapons of war into objects of peace. It is entirely in keeping with the majority religion of this country to make and wear these pins, and should be understood by most as a symbol of remembrance and hope for a better future.

Having said that, I'm not buying one primarily for the reasons woodsmoke gives: I'm not completely comfortable with wearing something that might have killed someone on a day of peace. But I understand and can't condemn those who want to wear them.

If any other religions have relevant quotes about turning war into peace then I'm happy they proclaim them as loudly as they want. The days of having to be over careful about what you say for fear of offending some (probably imaginary) person are hopefully over.

Woodsmoke

I think you have missed the point

I don't think I have. I see your point, but I maintain my view that using fuse fragments is in very bad taste. And as far as commemorating only the British Fallen, I think that's an insult to all who fought and died. I don't know who thought up the idea of incorporating soil from the Somme battlefield into the paint, but he needs horsewhipping. It's crass and macabre :eek:

Seems to be that the humble paper poppy is being lost to a recent trend of fashion poppy's and my poppy is better than yours. i think the BBC had a hand in it.
but as long as we are still talking about then then we have not forgotten the fallen.
Tommy

I got mine in the post this morning. Beautiful presentation.

3rwB8TA.jpg

I'm with Woodsmoke and tikka_madras on this - the whole concept leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I can only think it was thought up by some youngster in Marketing. Perhaps it's the same person who thinks it's suitable to remember the fallen with a set of Poppy golf balls and a reproduction trench whistle?

Back