What should a land owner do if they find a dead deer?

Chasey

OK so a land owner finds a deer carass on their land

What are their responsabuilities when dealing with the carcass?

Do they have to get it examined?

What steps do they have to take if they wish to dispose of it?

I ask because I am doing an article on deer managment for small woodland owners

ATB

Chasey

As a wild animal, he has no obligation to do anything, why are you writing a article if you don,t know the answers, surely it should be written by someone who knows the answers

As a wild animal he has no responsibility what so ever, deer belong to no one (unless park or farmed deer) a landowner merely has the right to cull them when they are on his land, he may have some responsibllity regarding population numbers and damage to neighbours but that is a different matter and not relevant to this post.

As a wild animal, he has no obligation to do anything, why are you writing a article if you don,t know the answers, surely it should be written by someone who knows the answers

If you were always required to know the answer to everything before writing an article, and not allowed to do any research, newspapers would be pretty empty...

I didnt realise you were born just knowing this stuff I mistakenly thaught you needed to reserch it

Silly me

OK let me rephrase

I have a 100kg bloated stinking carcus on my main ride?

I know I can bring in a digger and bury it in or near the location it died but how else could I dispoe of it and what would be the implication? I am asuming it would have to go to an authorised site but i can find DEFRA info on Cat 3 food waste no problem but am strugling to find out more on Cat 2 waste

OK let me rephrase

I have a 100kg bloated stinking carcus on my main ride?

I know I can bring in a digger and bury it in or near the location it died but how else could I dispoe of it and what would be the implication? I am asuming it would have to go to an authorised site but i can find DEFRA info on Cat 3 food waste no problem but am strugling to find out more on Cat 2 waste

You can bury it provided its not near a water course or you can leave it for nature to dispose of,doubt very much if DEFRA
would be interested.

Waste can be slightly complacted , if you are a recreational stalker there is nothing to stop you putting a carcass or parts there of in your household bin, if you are a business a game dealer for example you need red bins and a special collection
believe it goes to be incinerated but I do wonder as road kill is collected by the council and goes straight to landfill.

If you were always required to know the answer to everything before writing an article, and not allowed to do any research, newspapers would be pretty empty...
And going by the quality of today's news papers the sooner the better.

Wild animals are exempt, unless they have a disease transmissible etc humans or animals:[FONT=arial, sans-serif]https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Took some finding though. Move it to a less offensive place, not within 50m of a water course.[/FONT]

And going by the quality of today's news papers the sooner the better.

Did you know what Buchan posted Taff? Buchan is a stalker and a very highly qualified and experienced vet and he said it 'took a bit of finding' - give the OP a break.

OK so a land owner finds a deer carass on their land

What are their responsabuilities when dealing with the carcass?

Do they have to get it examined?

What steps do they have to take if they wish to dispose of it?

I ask because I am doing an article on deer managment for small woodland owners

ATB

Chasey

Just leave it in situ for decomposition and disposal by scavengers. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust... you'll find it is gone in no time.
If the carcass is on a permitted footpath or public footpath it would be wise to drag it into the bushes, a bit out of sight.

Another alternative...

"Hello, is that The Happy Antler Chinese Takeaway? I have something you might be interested in...."

Back