Hide curing companies?

Judge Ali

I would like to keep a few Sika hides and have them made into soft rugs or blankets/throws for the sofa.

Has anyone done this or know of a company (preferably Dorset/Hampshire area) that does it?

I know there are tannerys that can make them into leather but I actually want the fur on. I have seen them around so someone somewhere is doing it but my google searches have come up pretty fruitless so far.

Any and all info much appreciated.

Cheers
Alex

I did read this title as "hiding companies that do curing" and opened to find out why on earth anyone would want to hide them haha fail!

But now I'm here thats a useful link, bookmarked! :)

I was reading something on here I think the other week about tanning fallow skins. It might be worth having a go yourself. If you've got the space, time and inclination. I think a kit only costs about £30. Get yourself a big bag of salt from a cash and carry and salt the skins until they're completely dry. Then it's up to you whether you try and tan them yourself or find somewhere to send them.

Brain tanning is hard work but gives excellent results. When the sh"t hits the fan you'll be able to clothe your family, or what will be left of them...;)

Ok thanks for info a few leads to chase up there.

Not sure but doesn't 'tanning' mean turning into leather? I actually want these with hair left on and turned into rugs/sofa throws etc.

Either way will check out the companies mentioned thanks for your input.

Back