Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SURVEY: Firearms Licensing Comparison by Police Force

Lightbulb SURVEY: Firearms Licensing Comparison by Police Force

We get so many questions popping up about which police forces grant which conditions I have put together a survey which I think captures the main issues. Examples include how long applications take, whether they allow rimfire for fox etc.

Click to Complete the Survey

Click to View Results

When we get a decent sample size I can group them by police force so we can get a better overall picture.

If anyone thinks of any other questions that come up regularly please let me know.

Alex

Note: Data collected will remain anonymous - see our Privacy Policy for more info

One fly in the ointment, mate - when people living in the same constabulary and pursuing the same types of shooting are treated differently. In comparison to my mate, i get treated pretty mildly. The only difference between us is the FEO.

could have included "has there been a recent change of staff / improvement in service?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    One fly in the ointment, mate - when people living in the same constabulary and pursuing the same types of shooting are treated differently. In comparison to my mate, i get treated pretty mildly. The only difference between us is the FEO.
    That will show up in the results though, when two different people give different answers! If we end up with a a spread of answers for one question for one force then we know that there are other factors at work than a simple yes that's allowed, or no that isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    could have included "has there been a recent change of staff / improvement in service?
    I deliberately avoided a kind of 'rate my police force' for this because they are subjective and can have a tendency to become a bit negative . The idea was just to gather the facts as they are, so we can build up a picture of how the law is applied from force to force.

Hi Alex,

This survey is a good idea and no doubt will be quite revealing. Please consider using the final survey results to send to the likes of BASC & other organisations as I'm sure they will find it useful in there discussions with the relevant authorities.

My FAC states for my rimfire - "Shooting Vermin, Ground game and any other lawful quarry". My centrefire - "Shooting Deer and any other lawful quarry".

To my mind a fox is "lawful quarry" and as such I can use either rifle to dispatch one. Am I right in my thinking...?

Yes, in theory it would allow you to use your .22RF on fox, but obviously your call as to whether you do or not from a humane perspective- it doesn't mean that you have to, does it. And you wouldn't want to fall foul of the The Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996 which protects all wild mammals against specific acts of cruelty intended to cause unnecessary suffering - possibly using an unsuitable calibre might just create some problems if anyone was put under the microscope?

On my open cert (D&C) it has just one simple condition covering all the firearms and ammunition, (ranging from .22Rf to 12 bore slug), 'The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry and for zeroing on ranges, or land and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Puts the onus on the FAC holder to make the decision about which calibre is either lawful or suitable for the job. Used responsibly I think this sort of condition should be more widespread.
    Last edited by Orion; 02-07-2010 at 08:29.

Orion, but that is just common sense , isn't it?............................................... .......
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    When I applied for a deer stalking condition in the late 1980s it was the "norm" to do one "life" of the then three year certificate as Condition II (named land and any other land) and then on renewal to apply for and receive Condition III (any land).

Also "fox" on a "deer stalking and feral goats" authority would be granted provided you made out a convincing case...that the land you were likely to shoot on actually had foxes on it. Colin Greenwood was very active in this issue.

Mentoring then wasn't even in the consideration and was totally unknown in the 1980s as being something that was thought of as a reasonable imposition on the individual rifle. Maybe they was more commonsense then?

Some of us pre-date the only available answers in your survey.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 02-07-2010 at 16:38.

I had a look and cannot complete it as yet. Have a variation going through now. One for One x3 and some swops on what I can actually shoot. yep Lincs make their own rules up. Its' been nearly 2 months now as it is so will have another look when it eventually gets done.

The other complication is my 1st FAC was granted in Lincs, I moved back to surrey where soemyears later Deer was added and I am now, sadly back under Lincolnshire licensing. makes fillign tit in a wee bit complicated.

Over the years Wiltshire coppers have been great. Today I put in for (yet another ) variation. There is always a slight trepidation as you put the envelope in the post box - so currently holding my breath (again)