Tipping

tusker

What would folks consider a proper tip to a stalker, lets say 3 days stalking with one stag taken. All 3 days were very enjoyable.
Tusker

As others have said what you feel is right, I have had everything from the offer of a holiday abroad to being handed an envelope when the client left which turned out to be empty, will never know if it was a mistake or not.

Some will suggest a bottle and while most stalkers enjoy a dram it might not be the best idea, a bottle usually ends up staying in the larder to be shared by the staff , other stalkers , Ghillie's etc employed on the estate, even future clients are likely to be given a dram from it so its not personal.
Know its not much help , but I would not like to state an actual figure, as its very much a personal thing depending on the attitude of the stalker and the service you received.

I would think £30 - 50 per day for an estate stalker for whom tips will be an important component of their income. Different for stalkers who have their own business and get all the outing cost.

You clearly think you shortchanged him yourself, £30 a day stag or no stag if the effort was made would be minimum in my opinion.

It would be interesting in hearing of personal tips received by the pro deer guides themselves that are on SD as to what they have/haven't received or been offered.

tip: verb a sum of money given as a reward for a service.

Sounds so simple, but of course it's a minefield.

Personally I hate tipping, particularly when it's to someone directly selling the service and you get the feeling they take tips for granted. If someone expects a tip just for doing their normal job then they should simply add it to their fees and be done with it - it saves embarrassment all round.

I see it differently, though, for those who are employed to perform that job - whether stalker, gamekeeper, ghillie.....or waiter. In many cases their employer has factored tips into their overall package, so naturally a tip should be offered.

When considering the size of the tip I normally start on 10% of the fee - so if I was paying £400 for a day's stalking with the chance of a shot then maybe I'd consider £40 as a minimum tip if it either worked out successfully or we tried our damnedest but luck wasn't with us. If presented with a shot at a royal rather than the ugly switch next to it then double the tip accordingly!

Much the same when it comes to gamekeepers - minimum of £20 and then £10 per 100 birds or part thereof. So £30 for a 100 bird day and £40 for a 150 bird day. If you've really enjoyed the day or the company, then round it up accordingly.

If you want to offer a gift of whisky or similar, go ahead. Just remember that not everyone likes whisky and you can't use a bottle of whisky to pay for a meal out with the wife or filling up with diesel.

That's just me. Others I am sure feel different.

Tips are a gesture of appreciation. I have been told at certain places how much to give certain people and other places it's down to your discretion.

For 3 days on the hill with 1 nice stag I'd of personally given £120-150.

I am not being rude, or hope I don't come across as being so, but £10 a day is a bit stingy, and doesn't even buy a takeaway Chinese nowadays.

Glad to see deer stalking is still in the grasp of the common working man! The tip should be a sign of appreciation but £20 from someone who has saved up all year for a day on the hill is a fortune and is worth far more than £150 from someone who wouldn't miss it at all!

It's a funny one this ,I take clients out down south and as a whole don't really get tips even though I am paid a wage and all the stalking money goes to the estate .
A game keeper is paid by the estate as well but always gets tips , it is expected !
So I ask the question why do gamekeepers always get tips and stalkers down south don't ???
12 years ago when I started for my estate almost all clients tipped but it has become rarer over the years and I am not sure why ???
Any ideas?? I don't do a lot of clients but some are regulars and they have a good time as they wouldn't come otherwise .
I cant answer about Scotland but it seems the norm up there that they get a tip but varies how much ?

It all depends on how you enjoyed yourself, good time - good tip, bad time - no tip/ small tip. £30 for three days, it's alright but not great. Tips I've had in thirty odd years of being a stalker range from a few pounds to a few hundred, telescopic sights, binos, whisky, items of clothing,boots,golf balls, knives, the offer of holidays.

Friends & I each tipped £20 per day when booking a week shooting hinds. So between four rifles and two stalkers, at the end of five days stalking each stalker had £200.

On stags, depending on beast shot & stalker/stalk max 10% of cost of stag fee.
It's a 'tip' expressing satisfaction....or not.

Forgot to add , there was 5 of us stalking with 2 stalkers, collectively we tipped £180. Driven shooting I tip £20 for 100 bird day over 100- 150, £30.
Tusker.

Forgot to add , there was 5 of us stalking with 2 stalkers, collectively we tipped £180. Driven shooting I tip £20 for 100 bird day over 100- 150, £30.
Tusker.
think you were possibly a wee bit under tipping there BUT I wasn't there to experience the stalking .!!!
Norma

Back