243 reloads using Swiss powder

billh

Has anybody used Swiss powders for reloading 243?
Have been recommended to use RS 40 by a company that reloads target ammo.
I just need a starting loads for 87g VMax.

I think RS40 is probably way too fast for anything in .243.

I use RS50 for 70grain target bullets in a .243, but I'd imagine even that is too fast for 87grainers.

Try emailing Nitrochemie - they've been very helpful whenever I've asked them for more info on their powders for specific applications, generally sending data sheets along with their recommendations. http://reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/service_navigation_1/contactforms_3/index.php

Last edited:
Have been recommended to use RS 40 by a company that reloads target ammo.

As stated RS 40 appears to be too fast and according to Quickload (without knowing bullet seating depth) to get to max psi, your case will only be 81% filled. Now if you said RS60 that would have sounded better.

Don't consider RS40 - far too fast burning, dangerously so. (It's a 5.56 / 223 powder with limited use in 308 Win with lighter bullets.) Nitrochemie lists a single loading for 243 for a 77gn bullet here:

http://www.propellants.co.uk/reload-swiss-load-data.html

which uses RS60, a far better suited grade.

RS60 (high-energy with infused nitroglycerin) and RS62 (single-base originally developed for the 270 Win with 130-150gn bullets) are much better choices and the considerably slower burning RS70 (another 'high-energy' / added nitroglycerin type) might also just be suitable.

RS60 (RL17/Elcho17) is a great 243 powder, I'm running some 80 grain TTSX's in one of my 243's at 3400fps - they group on paper at <1/2".

Am I missing something here or is it the burn rate and something else that determines a powders use?
RS 40 has exactly the same burn rate as H4895 that is widely used in 243 but several comments appear to say RS 40 has a burn rate too fast for the 243!
What is the answer?

Sorry Bill, I can't answer your question as such, but can tell you they list RS 50 as their fastest powder recommended for use with the 243.
There are more recipes in their reloading data handbook but the fastest powder being used is RS52 and these are loads from homeloaders.
It would appear that they are getting most of their data this way, hopefully a new load data handbook will be out soon (mines from February 2015).
Regards,
Mark

Am I missing something here or is it the burn rate and something else that determines a powders use?
RS 40 has exactly the same burn rate as H4895 that is widely used in 243 but several comments appear to say RS 40 has a burn rate too fast for the 243!
What is the answer?

Short answer- yes, there are other factors than the burn rate. For a long answer (and better explanation than I could ever give) ask Laurie!

One internet-pundit's take: Why burn rate is meaningless!

Only just found this thread sorry. I’m looking at the same with RS70. Would I be better going bigger than 75Gr maybe ?

Back