Tracer suction cup roof mount (and lamp)

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
Does anybody have any experience of the above mentioned kit? I've been looking at the Tracer sport light 170. If I understand correctly I can get the lamp as an ordinary hand held, and pair it up with the remote handle and the suction mounts to use for solo lamping from my car if nobody is up for coming with me. I think there's also a battery pack option for going on foot?
This is a new venture for me and I'm keen to avoid spending a fortune, especially if I end up having to re-buy to replace bad choices.
Any other advice or opinions are appreciated.

Simon you'll be happy enough with the kit if it's a new venture for you.
It's similar to how I started out, but then found the bulk a pain in the ass for solo walking.
I did then buy a lithium battery which was a revelation compared to the old heavy lead battery. I then upgraded to the cluson gun mounted kit, which was better again.
A few years passed and I then bought night vision.
The night vision is amazing and won't be beaten by any lamp.
But as I could only afford the one unit, when family or friends wanted to come out, it was rubbish for them.
By this point I'd already bought an IR nm800, so ordered up a red led and green led for it.
As regards to lamping now, the power of the compact torches is amazing and more than enough for shooting at night.
Im not saying it has the long distance range of the big reflector style lamps, but it sure as hell beats them on everything else!
Depending on your terrain, I'd seriously look into the likes of the nm800 etc(theres a few different brands out there)
If you are close by, I'd be happy to show you the various options.

I still use a 170 lamp and battery pack, however I added a small red hid lamp for spotting some two years ago, this has made a world of difference with out spending out. Also I have a £60.00 copy of a night master which is good for 200 yds on a dark night. With this seasons long dry spell the chance of covering more ground in the truck as lots of fields have only been scuffed over.
I never shoot from the truck, only from my sticks as on far too many occasions a fox has crossed through a hedge leaving the man in the truck ****ed and the mobile shooter a better chance.

Yes lots do shoot from a truck, however in a lot of respects foxes are like deer as you can call both also stalk into them with a plan....

I stick to one system that is on foot while I might spot a fox from the truck a long way of and stop short 4/500 yds then go in on foot...

NV is an option for next year as I believe in moving forward with as many options as possible but that is next year....

Tim.243

Thanks for the info gents. I've used the led "torch" type before when out with other people and found them impressive, but I don't know how I'd get on with one whilst juggling with the rifle if I'm out on my own.

the suction cup bars are fine and work well as long as your roof doesnt have any ridges where the cups will sit and also get the roof wet before mounting for extra suction. lamping on your own tho is always going to be hard tho especially on trickey foxes the best results ive had on my own is being static sqweaking in a good spot with the rifle on quad sticks ready to go and a hand held lamp personaly im not a great fan of rifle mounted lamps as i find having to swing a rifle around all night clumsy and just plain knacking on the arms

Thanks for the info gents. I've used the led "torch" type before when out with other people and found them impressive, but I don't know how I'd get on with one whilst juggling with the rifle if I'm out on my own.

Practice.........

the suction cup bars are fine and work well as long as your roof doesnt have any ridges where the cups will sit and also get the roof wet before mounting for extra suction. lamping on your own tho is always going to be hard tho especially on trickey foxes the best results ive had on my own is being static sqweaking in a good spot with the rifle on quad sticks ready to go and a hand held lamp personaly im not a great fan of rifle mounted lamps as i find having to swing a rifle around all night clumsy and just plain knacking on the arms

Go to the gym..lol

Tim.243

I've got a Lightforce 170 on a lightforce roof mount T handle all complete that would bolt to a suction kit I think

if your interested in it I would sell it , I could even drop round with it if you wanted as your not very far from me

I've got a Lightforce 170 on a lightforce roof mount T handle all complete that would bolt to a suction kit I think

if your interested in it I would sell it , I could even drop round with it if you wanted as your not very far from me

i have the the same as mark and love it, i use it for detecting eye shin when out on my own, then switch to the drone and the 20 tac and use the caller to draw them into the target zone... job done,

bob.

i have the the same as mark and love it, i use it for detecting eye shin when out on my own, then switch to the drone and the 20 tac and use the caller to draw them into the target zone... job done,

bob.[/QUOTE
Bob....what happens when it nips through the hedge or the next field do you call in a Chinook for a lift over the hedge.....!!

Tim,243

I appreciate all your thoughts so far.
Maybe I'd be better off getting something like this https://www.ludicrous-lumens.co.uk/collections/t20-t38-t50-t67-kits/products/bundle-deal-t38-illuminator-gun-light-38mm to mount on the rifle and another the same or maybe the T67 from the same company (which I've handled, belonging to a mate) for spotting. I guess with quad sticks that would be easy to manage, and would actually be cheaper than the roof lamp idea.
As impressive as NV is, it's definitely not in budget!

Back