Shr 970

ileso

Hi

Has anyone ever owned an SHR 970?
If so what are your thoughts.

Looking at one for 1600EUR which is a bit steep for me but...

Not owned one but that seems pretty dear for a used rifle. To compare, there is two for sale here, one at £650 (€720) and the other at £995 (€1100). The former is 308 and the latter is 9.3x62.

Spare parts are impossible to find. I was offered one several years ago and was advised to stay away from it. I get several request a year asking me if I can get any spare parts....................there are none.

I have a deluxe with 2 barrels 25 06 and 30 06 it's a cracking rifle made by sauer as they where the sig sauer shr970 I've had no trouble finding parts for mine got some mags from USA last year and I did find a website based in German which almost had anoth parts to build a new one and was looking at getting a 9.3x62 barrel from them the complete guns seem to sell for around £500-£600 in the UK

I have two, a .308 Win, bought new for $450 USD, and .280 Rem used but no sign on use, for $450. Beautiful wood, and i bought an extra synthetic stock for $70. A friend has a .30-06. All three rifles shoot every load we have tried sub-MOA, some loads very small groups. But we stopped looking at groups and just take them hunting.

The were about 1300 EUR a few years ago, before being discontinued, so 1600 is too high.

Not owned one but that seems pretty dear for a used rifle. To compare, there is two for sale here, one at £650 (€720) and the other at £995 (€1100). The former is 308 and the latter is 9.3x62.

its brand new

Spare parts are impossible to find. I was offered one several years ago and was advised to stay away from it. I get several request a year asking me if I can get any spare parts....................there are none.

ok, spare parts is an issue...

the complete guns seem to sell for around £500-£600 in the UK

Ok so these guys are asking for well over market price, I will try to get them down then.

All three rifles shoot every load we have tried sub-MOA, some loads very small groups. But we stopped looking at groups and just take them hunting. The were about 1300 EUR a few years ago, before being discontinued, so 1600 is too high.

Ok, thats good to hear.

chears guys, It sounds like a very good rifle from your comments and from what little info there is on the internet.
The spare parts issue is a bit of a worry though, It sounds like its easier to get spare parts for my BRNO zkk. Though maybe a mail directly to SIG could be helpful (never know). From what I have gathered these were made by SIG arms, not SAUER... I dont understand exactly what their relation is to SIG SAUER is but it is part of the same company/group correct?
Anyway at least with this info I can do my best at wriggling the price down to something reasonable for a discontinued rifle with no spare parts market. (a bit like my BRNO zkk.. I must have a thing for making my life difficult, it took me over a month to find a trigger and special tool for it but now can even find spare mag springs, hahaha, probably someone taking apart their old rifle...)

Last edited:
I went walkabout through the SIG SAUER site and came across this information in their faq section...

I own a SHR or STR Swiss Arms rifle – where do I go for parts or service?

We have not imported the SHR/STR rifles in many years. We no longer have parts or accessories available. You can contact Swiss Arms directly: Swiss Arms Industrieplatz CH-8212 Neuhausen am Rheinfall, Switzerland Telephone: +41 (52) 674-6111 Fax: +41 (52) 674-6601 Fax: +41 (52) 674-6418 http://www.swissarms.ch

These rifles were imported to and sold in Canada for quite a while after the USA distributor in New Hampshire stopped, due to contract issues with the sale of Sigarms, so there are were parts and barrels in Canada.

Incidentally, if you see a Sigarms shotgun from this era, it is a Rizzini B.

More info on the SHR 970: I weighed the stocks.
Wood stock is 27.3 ounces. Rifle weighs 8 lbs 3 oz with Warne steel bases, steel Burris rings and Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm scope
Synthetic stock is 37.5 ounces.

Back