Repeal the Hunting Ban

I agree but dont know if a full repeal is the best way to go. Currently the poaching dog men can be prosecuted under criminal law and have vehicles confiscated and crushed. A full repeal puts it back to a civil offence and no interest from the police. I marched for Hunting 2 times and want to see legal fox hunting again but would consider it unfortunate to lose one or 2 unexpected fringe benefits to the ban

What for?

So that the houndsports lobby can "stab us in the back" again saying how foxes that are shot (with shot guns) will die from gangrene or that rifle users lamping at night are " a serious danger to the public"?

What for?

So that the houndsports lobby can "stab us in the back" again saying how foxes that are shot (with shot guns) will die from gangrene or that rifle users lamping at night are " a serious danger to the public"?

Thats probably one of the most interesting posts I've read on a forum in years. :)

The Hunting Act is probably the least effective piece of legislation ever drafted. Most Hunts seem to have embraced trail hunting, although occassionally (and very unfortunately) a fox is killed. My concern is that if it is abolished a more stringent Act will be introduced if/when Labour get back into power.....might be another excuse for a March though...always a good excuse for a p*ss up!

Thats probably one of the most interesting posts I've read on a forum in years. :)

Sad but true I regret to say. Some members of the houndsports lobby were very quick to denigrate any other form of fox control to save their pastime rather than argue fox hunting on its (not inconsiderable) merits alone.

They were a disgrace.

Their cause wasn't aided by the "idiots" ranting on, the spittle spraying out of their florid faces, about hounds having to be put down and horses shot.

Really? As if the countryside was full of "old hounds' homes" where "Courser" and "Chancer" and all the rest spent happy years in retirement remembering those three mile points of long ago!

Were "these people" really such idiots as to think that the public would believe such rubbish? Or that useful horses would be summarily shot?

It just portrayed an image of deceit ("old hounds' homes") on one hand and total callous and selfish disregard for animal welfare (shooting horses because they could no longer be used for hunting) on the other.

To say nothing of the ridiculous "Union of Country Sports Workers" that suddenly emerged with it claims of mass redundancies.

The people of this country aren't stupid and I think realised that they were been seen as fools by the houndsports lobby.

People may not be stupid, be they can be blinkered, for instance Racing Greyhounds.....(as opposed to those owned by the lower orders)......they don't all go to nice retirement homes.

If there is one thing that p***** of the hunting fraternity its people with guns go after foxes. Dont get me wrong, I am all for the gun packs they work hard and from what I have experienced get the results.

31 Foxes shot on one Lake District farm since lambing started and the farmer lost one or two.
He was an avid foxhunter but was soon to bleat when a brace of his lambs went `awol`.

HWH.

Surely since the levels of hunting have risen (anecdotal evidence) since the ban and the post above shows some of the benefits of the ban we should focus our energies on other more important rural issues. Potential banning of lead bullets, trying to ensure that those applying for licenses to legally cull birds of prey actually get some support etc etc.

Back