sub-sonic fullbore loads??????????????????????????????????

Soap

Hi,
Has anyone tried subsonic fullbore !
I have looked around on the net for info and found a few interesting articles but I wonder if anyone has tried?
The crack of a moderated fullbore rifle can attract interference in some instances, would silent subsonic ammo through a mod be any good for perhaps badger culling without attracting unwanted attention.
Just a thought!

I load 405gr cast round nose in my 45/70 between 800-1300 with trailboss and unique. I don't have a suppressor as my government thinks they are evil, but they still have a mighty wack at 900 fps.

I have loaded my 30-06 with 13 grains of trail boss and used 220 grain round nose sierra bullets , also drilled out the flash hole a bit and used magnum primers (if you drill out the hole make sure you mark them to never use normally again)
Worked well really like a .22 with a lot more down range energy.

You would need a 370 grain bullet ,travelling at just under the speed of sound, to achieve the required muzzle energy of 1000 Ft.Lbs.

I had a go couple of years ago, no real gain and a lot of pain, didn't really work for me and a friend who also had a run at it give up eventually, hardest point was accuracy and a consistent trajectory

good luck if you have a go, keep us posted

ATB

phil

Made subsonic loads in 30-06, 9.3x74R and 416 Rem using trailboss. No problems with accuracy. Rainbow trajectory past 50m. Very quiet and the 416Rem still makes over 1000 ftlb.

I loaded subsonic loads,in my 308 using cast bullets from 110grs up to 200grs no gas checks required
@ subsonic velocity. Powder wise I used around 5grs of vhit 320 for indoor range work and trail boss for
My plinking/rabbiting . Cheap to make and very quiet with the moderator fitted.
and no recoil.

I had a couple of hundred SAKO subsonic rounds in.308 once and they were a real disappointment.
The first thing I noticed was lack of thump on the shoulder :(
This was the days before moderators became common but even so, there was no satisfying crack on discharge :(
The rounds bounced all over the place :(
They were not Deer legal so only used on the range, the minimum lane length on the range I used was 100' so there was quite a lot of hold over !
I did not have the opportunity to use them for the purpose they were made ;)
The only good thing about them was the brass, but even then, if I remember correctly, it didn't last as long as some of the other brass I had available to me at the time.
The powder charge, of whatever powder it was used, weighed 6gr and the bullet was a tapered tail, full metal jacket, weighing 180gr as opposed to the standard round weighing 147gr !

.300 AAC Brockout, I see what you did there!
These ideas come to me after a couple of glasses of Glenkinchie, at the time I think why has no one thought of this before, what could possibly go wrong!

In the cold light of day its bloody obvious.

Thanks for the shove back into reality.

Back