Deerstalking Fair, 29th & 30th April, 2017

I Will Look Forward To A Trip To The Black Isle, it will be the Sunday for me, Will Mark This Up On The Wallchart.

Tempted to go up by rail.
£5 ticket Glasgow to Inverness + £6.60 return to Muir of Ord + £5 Inverness to Glasgow.
Works out cheaper for me than Kelso by car albeit longer on the train.

Any idea how far to the show from the train station?

Also for you guys down south why not get a flight to Inverness and arrange a minibus pick/drop off.
Flights from Bristol, Birmingham, London and Manchester
Up and down in a day book the airline tickets early and it should be cheap enough.

I Will Look Forward To A Trip To The Black Isle, it will be the Sunday for me, Will Mark This Up On The Wallchart.

It's great to hear positive comments regarding the change of venue. It is very difficult to please everyone but already we have been approached by such an encouraging number of potential traders wanting more info on the fair. Also delighted to receive an email from the North Highland College asking for more info as their 70 odd gamekeeping/stalking students will be interested in attending. This is exactly the type of folk we want to see there in the hope that there is an educational benefit to be had from the seminars and best practice events we hope to have running. So far we know the UKSHA will have a demonstration relative to tracking with dogs for wounded deer or boar, something on reloading ammunition, a hands on butchery demo allowing those attending to participate in cutting up a carcass and then a chef demonstrating some recipes for venison and the CIC and the BDS hosting a Q&A panel on trophy assessment and preparation. There may be other representation on this panel but yet to be confirmed.

Incredibly one of the most popular events we have held previously was in fact the butchery and cooking! So clearly many stalkers nowadays like to process their own meat and there is nothing better than having a demonstration from a butcher to show how to get the best out the carcass.

As I said earlier, as soon as we have things confirmed we will reveal the plans....

Last edited:
Tempted to go up by rail.
£5 ticket Glasgow to Inverness + £6.60 return to Muir of Ord + £5 Inverness to Glasgow.
Works out cheaper for me than Kelso by car albeit longer on the train.

Any idea how far to the show from the train station?

Also for you guys down south why not get a flight to Inverness and arrange a minibus pick/drop off.
Flights from Bristol, Birmingham, London and Manchester
Up and down in a day book the airline tickets early and it should be cheap enough.

A ten or fifteen minute walk will see you at the venue...

Brian, the only reason that the negative posts are being posted is because of their disappointment hoping a fairy godmother will say "don't worry, I'll arrange a coach and whisk you up there"
I am sure it will be the success it has always been.
The positive posts are probably not being posted because they don't want to P+++++s us soft Southerners off :)

Brian you know we would be there if it was possible, it's not the distance it's the health ☹, but I know it will be a success.

John

Brian, the only reason that the negative posts are being posted is because of their disappointment hoping a fairy godmother will say "don't worry, I'll arrange a coach and whisk you up there"
I am sure it will be the success it has always been.
The positive posts are probably not being posted because they don't want to P+++++s us soft Southerners off :)

LOL, I know. I wasn't reading any more into the negative posts than what was disappointment in it being too far for them to attend. :thumb:

Brian you know we would be there if it was possible, it's not the distance it's the health ☹, but I know it will be a success.

John

I know John, maybe if it comes down south you'll get to that one. I'll miss the baking!!!!!

LOL, I know. I wasn't reading any more into the negative posts than what was disappointment in it being too far for them to attend. :thumb:

For guys that seem quite happy to spend hundreds if not thousands on scopes and thermal imaging.
It seems weird that they are loathe to spend £300 for the fair?

London Euston to Inverness sleeper on Friday night £175 (first class - worth it)
Inverness to Muir of Ord £6.60 return.
Full day at the fair £10
Overnight in Premier Inn or the like say £40
Single to either Glasgow or Edinburgh £5
Return to where ever say £100

Total say £330 less than the cost of a mid priced decent scope is it not?

Was planning a trip to "Kelso 2017" next year but this slightly alters things.
Bit "of a hike" from South Yorkshire but my daughter lives in Edinburgh so I could possibly do it in two stages, how long would it take from there to the new location ?

Thanks.

Was planning a trip to "Kelso 2017" next year but this slightly alters things.
Bit "of a hike" from South Yorkshire but my daughter lives in Edinburgh so I could possibly do it in two stages, how long would it take from there to the new location ?

Thanks.

Are you driving Blackrider? Edinburgh to Muir of Ord is about 3-3.5hrs but I believe from an earlier post you could get a train there with a short walk afterwards.

Finally something at the correct end of the country. Looking forward to it and hopefully it will be well attended.
Are you advertising the event as this is the first I've heard of it and I'm only seven miles from Muir of Ord.

Finally something at the correct end of the country. Looking forward to it and hopefully it will be well attended.
Are you advertising the event as this is the first I've heard of it and I'm only seven miles from Muir of Ord.

yes we will be. Editorials in magazines will appear over next few months as well as on the SGA and hopefully BASC websites and magazines. The BDS will also highlight the event. The FB page will be vamped up as well. We are also looking at radio adverts but unfortunately as it is clearly an event involving shooting they seem reluctant to want our business! :doh: We are seeing if there are ways round that....

Back