The Mighty .270

JMH123

Always shied away to favour softer, more old school calibers, but contemplating the long, strong .270 for a generalist rifle. Thoughts welcome. It's that or a 6.5x55 for the next dabble - chalk and cheese I know.

got both gr8 cals !my 270 is. unmodded only use in Scotland really my 6.5 will get some outings when the fallow does come in .most of all I use the 308 though a jack of all trades !

got both gr8 cals !my 270 is. unmodded only use in Scotland really my 6.5 will get some outings when the fallow does come in .most of all I use the 308 though a jack of all trades !

I've got a Tikka T3 in 270 because my Sako 691 in 6.5x55 has a wooden stock and doesn't do every well in the rain....but I am beginning wonder if the 270 is superfluous, because the 6.5 is on a winning streak(7 deer in 5 stalks) and I don't want to tempt fait ;) and it's just a dream to shoot

As the owner of a .243, .270 and 6.5x55. I'm getting used to the 6.5 but it isn't a patch on the .270. All this guff about .270 being deer mincer stems from the wrong bullet being used and dumping all its energy. It upsets boar nicely with a soft nose 150grn round.

ED: I actually have 2 x .270. A stutzen and a Sauer elegance

I've owned a few 270's. All were accurate rifles. I sold one (a 4-digit, pre war Model 70 Winchester) but the other two I gave away to friends who admired them. I miss the individual rifles but not the performance. That a 270 is "better" than a 6.5x55 would be a hard claim to prove. I hunt mule deer weighing northward of 200 pounds and have no issue doing it with a 6.5x55. The biggest whitetail I have ever shot was with a 6.5x55 using 129 grain Interlocks at just over 200 yards. The deer leapt once and folded. I doubt a 270 would have done it better. I have never pointed my 6.5x55 at anything that didn't go down fast and hard. Take a 270 away from a competent marksman and swap it for an identical rifle in 6.5x55 and his game tally won't change.~Muir

Just back from stalking sika in wicklow and used my mater blaser 270, great rifle, if i wanted another rifle i would definitely consider one, shot some cracking deer with it.

I have had two 270s, my present Sauer is ultra accurate, has been used in Africa on Blue and Black wildebeest, countless blesbuck and warthogs using 130gn TTXS, only one had a second shot, but on inspection it wasn't really needed, my go to rifle over the 243 and 7x57. deerwarden

Use a kimber in 270 for goats and deer running federal fusion 130 through it, great calibre, but it all about bullet placement, calibre is just another option.

My 270 Parker Hale has given sterling service from Scotland to Africa, very accurate drops game on the spot if I do my bit. have not noticed undo meat damage, currently running 130 grn Grand Slams but just about to load up Sierra Gamekings 140 grn.
Tusker

I use 130gr Sierra Gamekings in mine :thumb:

It's a superb calibre, absolutely superb

Last edited:
Superb caliber... use 140gr Gamekings in a restocked Sako 85.. Use it on Roe to Red stags, drops the Reds well out to 220 meters with no issue.

I am using a 7x64 , not the same but very , very close, almost similar. Watch using Franz Aelbrecht the 270 on wild boar. In Austria it's one of the most popular calibres for mountain game, including Red Stags. For somebody living in the highlands, I can't imagine of a better round. I've seen a NZ outfitter who's clients almost all use a 270 on large NZ stags at long range. Certainly on his advice. It's about the heaviest calibre that's comfortably shootable in a lightweight rifle.

You can use the .270 Win with a common 150-gr bullet ( Sierra, Remington, Hornady, Speer ) on everything from 50 lbs up to elk, large bears and wild boar. It won't blow up the smaller deer and drills through big game. The Remington 150-gr RN is especially good inside 200 yards. You could shoot the Hornady 150 Interlock all day in the UK.

Beyond 200 yards - well beyond - it is potent on deer with the 130-gr bullet on which its reputation was made. The newer 130-gr TSX and the sleek 140-gr bullets have even better penetration and energy.

Mine own opinion is that if price is equal you'd be better getting a .30-06 rather than a .270. Or a 7x64. I've had and used .270's. Still have one. But also have a .280 Remington and 7x64. But my plans are for a .30-06 and be done. The .270 is a great calibre but for British stalking the .30-06 is probably better as you can start with 150 grains and go up or down in weight. In .270 WCF you've pretty much 130 and 140 and nowadays it's difficult to easily source 150 grain bullets at reasonable prices.

will give you a clean kill on any quarry in the UK, shoots flat, so little change in trajectory with different bullet weights you don't need to re-zero and DOES NOT recoil any worse than a .308.

will give you a clean kill on any quarry in the UK, shoots flat, so little change in trajectory with different bullet weights you don't need to re-zero and DOES NOT recoil any worse than a .308.

...or a 6.5 x 55 t3 lite using 140grn ssts. I couldn't tell the difference vs. my sauer in .270

Mine own opinion is that if price is equal you'd be better getting a .30-06 rather than a .270. Or a 7x64. I've had and used .270's. Still have one. But also have a .280 Remington and 7x64. But my plans are for a .30-06 and be done. The .270 is a great calibre but for British stalking the .30-06 is probably better as you can start with 150 grains and go up or down in weight. In .270 WCF you've pretty much 130 and 140 and nowadays it's difficult to easily source 150 grain bullets at reasonable prices.

Fully agree that the 30-06 stays the king of versatility. If I would get another rifle it would be 30-06. I just read the comments of an experienced ( German ) hunter with years of experience in Afrika ( many months a year). He shot most of his game with the 30-06 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions. The 30-06 is also very popular with local hunters in Hungary, where they shoot heavy reds.
The 270 stays exceptional for a light rifle for mountan-hill work. Easy to carry and shoots a good 130-140 grain bullet very flat.

Last edited:
I have 270 and 30-06 and I love them both. I have used the 30-06 in Croatia for boar and South Africa for water buck, impala, springboks blesbuck, warthog and the 270 in New Zealand for pig and goat.last mouth I shot 3 boar in the Forest of Dean with the 270 using 150gr RN bullets.

Back