Best Moderator ?

Depends on what you mean by 'best', I suppose. If weight isn't an issue, but durability is then the ASE Utra Northstar is very hard to beat. The fact I have one for sale has nothing to do with my suggestion, lol. It's a very, very good moderator!

I think the leading brand for mods is Atec, and I have 2 cm4's which I like very much but I have heard nothing but positive feedback on the new model the Hertz.

Some moderators have like a muzzle brake inside. I saw a picture of a moderator with the side blown out by the pressure from the muzzle brake.

Depends on what you mean by 'best', I suppose. If weight isn't an issue, but durability is then the ASE Utra Northstar is very hard to beat. The fact I have one for sale has nothing to do with my suggestion, lol. It's a very, very good moderator!

Plus 1; if weight is not an issue; best sound and recoil attenuation I've ever experienced (and I've now tried several), very robust and well made, although not strip-able

I have had most mods over the years and in my experience for pure quietness in no particular order my top 3 would be ASE Jet Z compact, Reflex T8 and MYM stainless (Border barrels)

Last edited:
Lawrence Precision; light with great attenuation. I'm delighted with my custom 6.5

Should the question have been " how long is a piece of string "

I once heard an answer to that. 23.5"

A group of statisticians explored it as an exercise at a conference.

They averaged the lengths of pieces of string kept in their kitchen drawers. They excluded pieces long enough to qualify as a "ball of string" and those too short to be useful which were chucked away. The average length of useful string lengths saved was 23.5".

It may be apocryphal....but it passes the time, I have remembered and trotted out the tale for the last 50 years :)

Alan

Back