Sako M591 .243 evaluation

sacha

Hi,

I'm just after some opinions of what my Sako M591 .243 is worth. Il be selling it soon but have no idea what its worth really so i thought it would be best to ask on here. I bought it second hand and have no idea of round count. The barrel is quite pitted and the barrels blueing isn't in great shape but still shoots fairly accurately.

Sorry for the poor photos (smartphone).

Any help with what this is worth would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Try posting info like barrel length, twist rate, and if threaded for mod (which by the looks of the blueing on the barrel it is). Good luck

I had an m591 in 308 it was a quality rifle and virtually as new I think it had a floor plate mag and threaded m14

mine me also had aluminium pillers thru the stock to the bottom metal I don't no if this is standard or it was aftermarket

i I struggled to sell it for what it was worth and I think I got £400 something or another at a guess as I can't remember

Last edited:
Try posting info like barrel length, twist rate, and if threaded for mod (which by the looks of the blueing on the barrel it is). Good luck

Thanks , completely forgot to add that info. Barrel measures just over 21 inches and it is screw cut.

I had an m591 in 308 it was a quality rifle and virtually as new I think it had a floor plate mag and threaded m14

i I struggled to sell it for what it was worth and I think I got £400 something or another at a guess as I can't remember

I agree mark, it is a lovely rifle. It was my first deer rifle and it has done very well for me. Just time for a change and i don't have room in the cabinet for two rifles.

Sako M591 .243 is worth...the barrel is quite pitted and the barrels blueing isn't in great shape but still shoots fairly accurately...

You are selling an action with a well used stock and a knackered barrel, though no doubt it still works.

The M591 is probably the best action Sako made, but aftermarket stock options are limited.

In my mind its worth £350 - £400 as a donor action.

I just bought a M591 varmint in 22-250 flavour just to do as CD suggested.
Mine turned into a 6BR with McMillan stock.
McMillan have many models for old Sakos.

As a dealer I would not offer more than £100 and that would depend a lot on the receiver and stock condition
Rebarreling ain't cheap!

If it shoots well someone could get a good amount of life out of it , just because the barrel is pitted and its a bit worn doesn't mean anything

Thanks for the input guys. Im not going to ask much money for it but £100 sounds very low to me, even if it was just to be used as a donor action surely the value would be a bit higher than that.

Il post a photo of a three shot group i shot the other day with my home loads, plenty accurate and i would have thought it would be perfect as a ruff and ready stalking rifle for those really wet days.

Thanks for the input guys. Im not going to ask much money for it but £100 sounds very low to me, even if it was just to be used as a donor action surely the value would be a bit higher than that.

Il post a photo of a three shot group i shot the other day with my home loads, plenty accurate and i would have thought it would be perfect as a ruff and ready stalking rifle for those really wet days.
So you will not be stalking where you will need a gun that is ruff ready and get wet

So you will not be stalking where you will need a gun that is ruff ready and get wet

Of course. What i meant was it could be a good rifle for someone who perhaps didn't want to take out their pride and joy in crappy conditions.

As a dealer I would not offer more than £100 and that would depend a lot on the receiver and stock condition
Rebarreling ain't cheap!

And then you would sell it for double or more, that's why you will always get more if sold privately.
Dealers, obviously will buy cheap as they need to make money on their purchase.
Rebarreling isnt cheap but you end up with a rifle how you want it instead of how it came from the factory.

I was offered a similar rifle in very good external shape but with a rough barrel for £200 at a local RFD.

Back