Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else busy with "game" birds.

Anyone else busy with "game" birds.

Is anyone else tied up now or shortly with rearing.

I have my ducks in and pheasants to follow on monday then followed by partridges.
    So last week been busy feeding ducks, leading out the header tanks, re digging in the pen wire (f##king rabbits), tightening the electric fences and checking them for shorts and moving out and netting the partridge pens.
    The game crops are doing well but desperatly need a drink and theres only 1 flushing point I decided to broadcast in a rescue mix which will be power -harrowed in today.
    So any spare time I have now will be spent hunting out foxes which will be difficult till we get some crops cut and will consist of early morning /dusk vigils with the rifle and snares in the tram lines and tracks I walk into my pens on (I always walk in the long grass on the same path and step over my snares its suprising how a fox will follow your way in).
    And I'm on constant "call out" now to keeper friends to help with their fox trouble (paying rent for stalking some of it), so its a welcome distraction from the stalking but could do without the agro from the various forms of vermin 2 + 4 legged variaties.

keeping busy

yes john im in the same boat. we got our birds a week or so a go and a few keeper friends are starting to get theres now so its long days and nights now. foxing is a way of payment for a bit of my stalking, and its worth it.

john same as mate weve got 6000 out on the rearing field at the moment
    alot of work and worry but all going well at the minute fingers crossed
    regards pete .

I don't envy you all! Looking after a huge number of pheasants last year(100)I have greatest admiration for those who look after them, the stress of trying to keep them alive and trying to stop every other critter from eating them nearly killed me off last year, NEVER AGAIN!!
    I think that game birds are related to sheep, they have this inherent capability of finding new and ingenious ways to die..

griff

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Is anyone else tied up now or shortly with rearing.

I have my ducks in and pheasants to follow on monday then followed by partridges.
    So last week been busy feeding ducks, leading out the header tanks, re digging in the pen wire (f##king rabbits), tightening the electric fences and checking them for shorts and moving out and netting the partridge pens.
    The game crops are doing well but desperatly need a drink and theres only 1 flushing point I decided to broadcast in a rescue mix which will be power -harrowed in today.
    So any spare time I have now will be spent hunting out foxes which will be difficult till we get some crops cut and will consist of early morning /dusk vigils with the rifle and snares in the tram lines and tracks I walk into my pens on (I always walk in the long grass on the same path and step over my snares its suprising how a fox will follow your way in).
    And I'm on constant "call out" now to keeper friends to help with their fox trouble (paying rent for stalking some of it), so its a welcome distraction from the stalking but could do without the agro from the various forms of vermin 2 + 4 legged variaties.
    Yes we have a rearing field full of pheasants and partridge so sleeping hours are few as you well know

birds

Got my birds coming AFTER the game fair so I can enjoy the few days away. We dont usually shoot until into November so that works out fine as I dont have to look after the birds for longer than I have to either (only 250 tho)

i can help you with the foxes if needed on a night,wayne

Yep

our Phessie poults aready gone to release pens fortnight ago and doing well, release pens were sorted a while back just to give a bit of breathing space
    same as the Ducks, now out on shoot aswell, they reared well this year not many losses at all,
    some Turkeys chicks already hatched and another lot still a week or so away ( may hav a few to sell )
    lots of last years ducks bringing off big broods (15 the biggest so far and 3 lots of them)
    Peafowl just started to hatch
    cover crops in but suffering due to the lack of wet
    just starting to sort out the movable feeders as we hav set up new flushing points for some drives and looks like we are winning that constant fight against mink upto now
    had a new visitor last week
    an immature looking Red kite nice to see as you don't see many in this area

so looking good upto now

Having spent 3years of pheasantless bliss, I have joined a syndicate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've just taken on a new bit of ground and have just put in 3 new pens, elec fences etc., birds arrive late July.

Have just bought 4 cabela's feeders, we now have 5 in total, for feeding the ducks (350) and we have 500 pheasants arrived two days ago. I had a stent fitted in my heart on the 24th June (marvellous) so have been unable to drive for a week. I was also unable, upon doctor's orders (honest), to use my right arm for strenuous work. So the other buggers have had to do the pen's for a change, and put all the barrels of wheat/barley out, bless them

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.