Anyone else busy with "game" birds.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Is anyone else tied up now or shortly with rearing.

I have my ducks in and pheasants to follow on monday then followed by partridges.
So last week been busy feeding ducks, leading out the header tanks, re digging in the pen wire (f##king rabbits), tightening the electric fences and checking them for shorts and moving out and netting the partridge pens.
The game crops are doing well but desperatly need a drink and theres only 1 flushing point I decided to broadcast in a rescue mix which will be power -harrowed in today.
So any spare time I have now will be spent hunting out foxes which will be difficult till we get some crops cut and will consist of early morning /dusk vigils with the rifle and snares in the tram lines and tracks I walk into my pens on (I always walk in the long grass on the same path and step over my snares its suprising how a fox will follow your way in).
And I'm on constant "call out" now to keeper friends to help with their fox trouble (paying rent for stalking some of it), so its a welcome distraction from the stalking but could do without the agro from the various forms of vermin 2 + 4 legged variaties.

keeping busy

yes john im in the same boat. we got our birds a week or so a go and a few keeper friends are starting to get theres now so its long days and nights now. foxing is a way of payment for a bit of my stalking, and its worth it.:)

john same as mate weve got 6000 out on the rearing field at the moment
alot of work and worry but all going well at the minute fingers crossed
regards pete .

I don't envy you all! Looking after a huge number of pheasants last year(100)I have greatest admiration for those who look after them, the stress of trying to keep them alive and trying to stop every other critter from eating them nearly killed me off last year, NEVER AGAIN!!
I think that game birds are related to sheep, they have this inherent capability of finding new and ingenious ways to die..

griff

Is anyone else tied up now or shortly with rearing.

I have my ducks in and pheasants to follow on monday then followed by partridges.
So last week been busy feeding ducks, leading out the header tanks, re digging in the pen wire (f##king rabbits), tightening the electric fences and checking them for shorts and moving out and netting the partridge pens.
The game crops are doing well but desperatly need a drink and theres only 1 flushing point I decided to broadcast in a rescue mix which will be power -harrowed in today.
So any spare time I have now will be spent hunting out foxes which will be difficult till we get some crops cut and will consist of early morning /dusk vigils with the rifle and snares in the tram lines and tracks I walk into my pens on (I always walk in the long grass on the same path and step over my snares its suprising how a fox will follow your way in).
And I'm on constant "call out" now to keeper friends to help with their fox trouble (paying rent for stalking some of it), so its a welcome distraction from the stalking but could do without the agro from the various forms of vermin 2 + 4 legged variaties.
Yes we have a rearing field full of pheasants and partridge so sleeping hours are few as you well know

birds

Got my birds coming AFTER the game fair so I can enjoy the few days away. We dont usually shoot until into November so that works out fine as I dont have to look after the birds for longer than I have to either (only 250 tho)

Yep

our Phessie poults aready gone to release pens fortnight ago and doing well, release pens were sorted a while back just to give a bit of breathing space
same as the Ducks, now out on shoot aswell, they reared well this year not many losses at all,
some Turkeys chicks already hatched and another lot still a week or so away ( may hav a few to sell )
lots of last years ducks bringing off big broods (15 the biggest so far and 3 lots of them)
Peafowl just started to hatch
cover crops in but suffering due to the lack of wet
just starting to sort out the movable feeders as we hav set up new flushing points for some drives and looks like we are winning that constant fight against mink upto now
had a new visitor last week
an immature looking Red kite nice to see as you don't see many in this area

so looking good upto now

Having spent 3years of pheasantless bliss, I have joined a syndicate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've just taken on a new bit of ground and have just put in 3 new pens, elec fences etc., birds arrive late July.:lol:

Have just bought 4 cabela's feeders, we now have 5 in total, for feeding the ducks (350) and we have 500 pheasants arrived two days ago. I had a stent fitted in my heart on the 24th June (marvellous) so have been unable to drive for a week. I was also unable, upon doctor's orders (honest), to use my right arm for strenuous work. So the other buggers have had to do the pen's for a change, and put all the barrels of wheat/barley out, bless them :lol:

ft

Get our 800 birds at the end of July, pens are sorted with new top nets this season. Just need to sort the two electric fences & get the feeders out into the fields & we are ready to go.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
we got our birds (all ex layers) a fortnight ago i they have been nothing but trouble came full of gapes even though we was told they had been wormed the day before there wings were clipped back to the bone near enough and the were a as bold as a bold eagle and now they have bulge eye i dont know the proper name for it but id imagine we have lost best part of a hundred but as ive not had much to do with them this tear as two other lads on the syndicate have taken over responsibility i ve only been out to them twice and both times ive told the acting keepers they arnt well only to be ignored with a bit of luck they have it sorted today and we can get on with bringing up some happy pheasants

we got our birds (all ex layers) a fortnight ago i they have been nothing but trouble came full of gapes even though we was told they had been wormed the day before there wings were clipped back to the bone near enough and the were a as bold as a bold eagle and now they have bulge eye i don't know the proper name for it but id imagine we have lost best part of a hundred but as Ive not had much to do with them this tear as two other lads on the syndicate have taken over responsibility i ve only been out to them twice and both times ive told the acting keepers they aren't well only to be ignored with a bit of luck they have it sorted today and we can get on with bringing up some happy pheasants

Swatty

Your pheasants could have mycoplasma bulging and scabbing of the eyes popular in layers caused by stress,it can be treated but its very contagious and it does kill them.

Hope that helps fella

ATB V

i know from my days as a keeper that even if treated bulge eye is a bad one the fact they are full of worms wont be helping either im hoping they guy who sold us them will take some responsibilty as he told us they had been wormed and were free from disease

Been busy since January as the shoot has started from scratch this year, thinning existing rides, putting in new rides, deer lawn etc, been putting in pheasant pens for about 3 weeks now so pretty much ready for them, putting in 10ft posts by hand is a real pain. I'm away with the boss for a bit soon so the birds will be in just after that. They are on their holidays at Roedinators at the moment so hope they carry on as well as they are doing, they look spot on :D.

he is actually the keeper on the estate where i used to work 15 years ago , we had problems with layers and poults on the rearing fields then with diesese but we worked 24 hours a day to keep things right . the estate has changed the way it opperates now and the keeper leases the shooting so he looking out for himself but i believe he is a decent bloke so time will tell

I have 6000 on the field next to the house just now .The Duck arrived a month early !!(at least they are poults).
Game crops in and growing well ! (Fodder rape great stuff ).
The release pens will be getting checked on a ( "sh1t there are birds going in there on monday ") basis ! and if I had any hair I would be pulling it out about now .

Why do my d/old pheasants always seem to be very well trained by Kammi Kazzi pilots ???? If they can find an odd way to die ? THEY WILL !

We just put 3000 pheasants into the release pens this morning bloody hard work in this heat, its a side a lot of guns dont see on our shoot.

paul

Back