Strange request

Dan Newcombe

I know that this is a strange request but is there anyone over in Surrey that could help me out.

Been looking for a 6.5x55, ideally a Tikka M695.

Seen this on Gun Trader

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100628124325001

but was wondering if anyone is likely to be in there soon if they could have a look and see what they reckon. Obviously just an opinion and you wont be held to anything but wouldnt mind a second opinion.

I realise this is a big ask but it seems a decent rifle to put an offer on

Dan

Hello Dan, you can tell a few things by the photos, the scratches on the stock and the wear of the finish on the action suggests that this has been a working rifle.

The 5 round magazine is a bonus.

The safety catch and bolt release look well thumbed. Also the mark on the barrel may indicate that the moderator has been removed after use.

I have no doubt that these rifles can put up with a lot of use, but like you say, making an offer might get you somewhere.

I'm sure you'll find someone nearby.

Ps. A friend has the trapper (short barreled version of this) and it has made a few of his other rifles redundant.

Don't know about the rifle but I do not like Chris Steed very much so I would be very wary. Unless he has changed in the last few years he would trawl around the established gunshops and but up what they couldn't shift at very low prices. I sold him a pretty knackered Nylon 66 through Andersons.

I bought a Finnfire Varmint and a Beretta sg off Chris, I found him a straightforward bloke to deal with - his stock varies A LOT and he has some cracking stuff and some near dogs but I've found the prices usually reflect the status.
Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can make it over there. Can't promise mind as am in the middle of a kitchen refit :(

I bought a Finnfire Varmint and a Beretta sg off Chris, I found him a straightforward bloke to deal with - his stock varies A LOT and he has some cracking stuff and some near dogs but I've found the prices usually reflect the status.
Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can make it over there. Can't promise mind as am in the middle of a kitchen refit :(

I would agree, have known Chris for a few years and have had many dealings with him, and would recommend his services. Tho in fairness, I have never sold a knackered gun to him, which I am sure would lower his standing in my estimation:rolleyes:

FYI Chris was buying up any ole .22 L/R he could get his hands on and apparently they were crated up ans shipped to Africa. Max price paid was £15. He was told the rifle had problems but it did have a brand new Remington replacement barrel on it as the original had a crack in it due to a previous owner getting something stuck in in the bore and trying we assume to shoot it out. I happened to be in Andersons with the rifle hoping they would be able to take it off my ticket and junk it so I could get something which worked reliably which this Nylon 66 did not. I think he gave me a tenner for it.

Sadly it's through actions like his that loads of the good old BSA, Vickers etc are lost forever. I believe a stop to this dumping of cheap guns on the African market has come about and it's pretty obvious why.

the other reason I don't trust him is that he tried to sell MY rifle without my permission. I had brought a P-H 1100M from Andersons of East Grinstead and asked Jeremy their Gunsmith back then to do an extra panel of cherquering under the fore stock so left the rifle with them for this to be done. A short time later while walking round the Bisley show I spied what looked like MY rifle of Steeds stand so asked to look at it. When i pointed out that it was mine he said :-

"only if I don't sell it here"

he had been on a stock aquisition trip and took the rifle with out asking. luckily for me John from Andersons was walking round and after I spoke to him had words with Steed who was not a happy bunny as it seem he had some interest in the rifle at the show.. I told if he sold my rifle I would sue him. No I don't trust him and do you blame me.

On Guntrader he had a very nice looking P-H 1200SC however I would not even entertain looking at it as I could never be sure he was selling it in a legit way. I will try in future to keep my personal experience in dealing with various companies and individuals to my self :banghead:

To be honest BH, I am not seeing the problem where the guy has given you money (which I am sure you agreed to) for what you admit was a knackered gun? Also if he was buying something which was useless in the UK market and selling it in another, then that is called enterprise, unless you are suggesting that he was trading guns to the African market illegally, which I guess you are not. And it is certainly not the only instance of this, you only need to look at the guys selling Ladas back to the russian market, or the roaring trade in white goods back to the african subcontinent.

As for the Andersons situation I wasn't there so cant comment beyond the fact that, having been in Andersons on Saturday and having a long chat with the proprietor, it would seem that whatever the situation it doesn't seem to have had much effect on their relationship ans he spoke about Chris in the friendliest of terms.

A friend and I have had quite a few dealings with Chris and have found him to be a top bloke.

If the rifle is less than immaculate this is reflected in the price.

As I have no said the comments came from personal experience and I shall try to remember to no longer offer them here. As for Andersons I assume you mean Phil and I have no doubt he would talk about me in the friendliest of terms which proves what?

Oh well I expect to be down there soon hopefully that is if Lincs can get off their backsides and do the job and process the variation. Phill is holding another rifle for me. doubt it will be in time for the Bisley show after all they have only had 2 months so far. It should have been done for the Phoenix at the end of May but no.

Oh the problem Hugh was steed trying to sell my P-H 1100M without permission or even owning it. I suppose that's OK it your book?

That would be absolutely wrong in my book but, as said, I wasn't there. I would ask the question why an RFD let a rifle out of their shop without it being recorded. it's not the sort of thing you can slip in your pocket.

The question was asked and they didn't know he had taken it. He had arms full he was taking and and seems to have taken a fancy to this and just picked it up. It was easy to spot as it has a very reddish coloured stock:-

SafariLinesIronsightsandMounts.jpg

ButtRHS.jpg

Which is how I noticed it on the stand, Sort of stood out. Parker-hales are usually lighter in tone.

Now if he had said Whoops sorry my mistake that would have been it. I even showed him the reciept which was still in my fac wallet with the fac but no he just said only if I don't sell it here. And he was not joking either. Now if I had not bumped into John who works in Andersons then I don't know what would have happened. In restrospect perhaps I should have informed the police butt hen the stuff would have really hit the fan.

P.S...... Yes I know the bolt is closed as I closed it and also that it's cocked .....thank you ;)

I for one am glad to hear other peoples expierences of RFD's and dodgy dealers, in my mind one "mistake" is too much when it comes to selling / aquiring firearms, even if it is a simple honest mistake. There are too many chancers about and i am pleased to be informed of this case by Brithunter.

Skipp.

Hi,

Not questioning your experience or integrity here but I'd point out that these are fairly serious allegations you're making on a public forum.

Will

Hi,

Not questioning your experience or integrity here but I'd point out that these are fairly serious allegations you're making on a public forum.

Will

Yep
skeletons in the closet are so easy to hide and ignore
but they also come out to remind you at some point
this might just be that case;)
been there in the past and gone through the same shiat with other so called reputable dealers, where others hav sung there praises
it cost me a lot of money on those occassions through no fault of my own
if BH has the proof and can back his story then good for him for posting it:cool:

Yep
skeletons in the closet are so easy to hide and ignore
but they also come out to remind you at some point
this might just be that case;)
been there in the past and gone through the same shiat with other so called reputable dealers, where others hav sung there praises
it cost me a lot of money on those occassions through no fault of my own
if BH has the proof and can back his story then good for him for posting it:cool:

Sorry Stone no written or photographic evidence. I will ask if John of Andersons remembers it but as it was few years back now I wonder if he will?.. After all it was not so important to him as it obviously was to me. Before this incident I have actually dealt with Chris and Pauline before on several occasions. They used to trade from the house back then, I have no idea if they still do or have a shop now. Having dealt with a fairly large number of dealers over the years of course you get a list of those your happy dealing with and those your not. Sadly after this little incident here on the forum my not to deal with list will in future remain my sole knowledge and if that means someone else finding out the hard way then sorry but that's a lesson learnt for the person involved. I have learnt my lesson here.

What I would add is that Admin are not responsible for any comments made by any individual on here, also any allegations made by the individual are not the thoughts or views of Admin and the Stalking Directory site or its members. They are the personal views of the individual.

This is an open forum, and members should be aware that accusations such as the ones made by a member could lead to civil action being taken. Admin have been contacted regarding the thread.

Aside from this turn that the thread has taken

Hugh Surrey went and had a look for me so thankyou very much Hugh, confirmed my thoughts and the earlier observations made. Apparently used to belong to a stalker in scotland

Dan

Sorry Stone no written or photographic evidence. I will ask if John of Andersons remembers it but as it was few years back now I wonder if he will?.. After all it was not so important to him as it obviously was to me. Before this incident I have actually dealt with Chris and Pauline before on several occasions. They used to trade from the house back then, I have no idea if they still do or have a shop now. Having dealt with a fairly large number of dealers over the years of course you get a list of those your happy dealing with and those your not. Sadly after this little incident here on the forum my not to deal with list will in future remain my sole knowledge and if that means someone else finding out the hard way then sorry but that's a lesson learnt for the person involved. I have learnt my lesson here.

Hi,

As I said, not questioning your experience or integrity and I am glad to know of it.
I was merely trying to gently point out what Admin has now made clear. :oops:

ATB,

Will

Back