Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortcut

Shortcut

Hi please can anybody who has a similar setup give me some advice . I am about to embark on homeloading I have a Sako .243 with a 1 in 10 twist 21 inch barrel . I use it for Roe and Muntjac primarily. I have tried many different brands of factory ammo and Federal 100 grain gave best results although I have not managed to get a good group (2.25" at 100 yds) I have not missed an animal yet. I appreciate that I have to experiment with differant loads but need some help as in what bullets primers cases etc to buy. Many thanks from a complete novice.

Your best bet is to find someone near you to show you the ropes.

In the meanwhile try and get a copy of the Lee loading manual and have a good read of the first few chapters.

I'm sure you'll be able to better that group, I'm a little surprised you haven't managed to find a better grouping factory round, have tried sako's own 90 grain loading?

Yes Tried sako 90 grain half inch group in my mates sako 75s 2.5 inch group in my Sako 85s. Mainly looking for advice on what bullet to buy along with primers cases ect then I can consult manual to try and achieve best results. I know that it is psycological but I need to have faith in this new rifle

Not being funny but was it you or your mate that shot the 1/2 inch group with his rifle? If it was him how does he shoot with your rifle? If still 2.5 inches I would take the rifle back I am sure SAKO guarantee 1 inch groups at 100m

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    Not being funny but was it you or your mate that shot the 1/2 inch group with his rifle? If it was him how does he shoot with your rifle? If still 2.5 inches I would take the rifle back I am sure SAKO guarantee 1 inch groups at 100m

Dave
    i think your correct there dave , i know each rifle is tested before leaving the factory for accuracy with a 1 in grouping !

me personally i would be taking my rifle back to where i got it from and get it sorted !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

The guaranteed inch group can only be a guarantee with the ammunition used when the rifle was tested...... do you know what the load was?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'll wager that it was a factory load. Parker-Hale guaranteed a 1 1/2" grouping capability using Norma factory ammunition back in the 1970's. Of course they were the agents and importers of Norma. I wouls suspect Sako use their own brand ammo but it would be worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    i think your correct there dave , i know each rifle is tested before leaving the factory for accuracy with a 1 in grouping !

me personally i would be taking my rifle back to where i got it from and get it sorted !

cheers lee
    It was me that tested my mates 243 and my own. the rifle has been back to GMK they shot a 1 inch group with the federal 100 grain they used a high magnication scope. This is why I changed to Federal now I want to home load to get better.

charlie111. I am not sure I follow your logic. I have a Sako 75. When doing load development I use the scope on x15 or x20 and a bunny bag. (http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=612755). When out stalking, I set the scope to x8. At all scope power settings, I would be kicking myself if I wasn't shooting sub-inch. What scope do you have on your Sako 85? Rgds JCS

I used a Sako A2 243 (an earlier model to the 85) so it is 25 years old and when I started with factory loads the best group I could get was 1.1/2".
    But the scope was not parallaxed to 100 yards and the eye relief was not the best and a few other things, such as I am not very good at prone shooting.
    I target fox, Roe, Muntac and Fallow.

I started home loading about 18 months ago.
    Primers: CCI200, I researched comments on the internet and these are just as good as bench rest ones for 243 for hunting.
    Bullets: 87Gr Vmax or 85Gr Sierra varminter. When these run out I will buy 85Gr Sierra Gameking. this weight is optimum for 1in10.
    Powder: 44gr of Vit 160. Cheapest source is HPS target rifles in Gloucester, check their web site, primers as well.
    Cases I use are Federal, Winchester and Norma.
    Lapua and Norma are said to be the best, and Remington the least best.
    Velocity with this is about 3100FPS the barrel is 24" I think?
    I can get sub 1/2" group with this set up using a 7x scope