Thread: roe buck

roe buck

Just a quick one to the font of knowledge we have on site,saw a beautiful roe buck last night not 30 yds from our cabin,followed his path through the corn next day,into a bit of rough ground,is he liable to stay around,being territorial and all,never seen a roe in 6 years we"ve have been here,any thoughts,Tony,,

Tony yes he is you are quite right roe are territorial can you say if he was young middle age or old. If he was an older buck he might be took away for a while juring the rut but should return if no one knocks him over while out stalking.

Thanks Choc,he did look to be an older buck,this is whats puzzling me,if he is older why have"nt we seen him before,do you think a few,apple horse licks,dotted around the woods,would help,keep him local,

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Thanks Choc,he did look to be an older buck,this is whats puzzling me,if he is older why have"nt we seen him before,do you think a few,apple horse licks,dotted around the woods,would help,keep him local,
    tony,

if he is older he may well have been displaced by a younger buck and thats why you have seen him. may also have been spooked from his own patch through over shooting or dogs etc.
    the bucks mark their ground and you should be able to see some scrapes about or even small ground clearances where they may sleep up.
    this has been my experience and others may differ, they come back in about three days to remark.

frank

Tony i have had some really large good bucks change there territory for differing reasons most that i have seen displaced i have not seen again Christ knows what happens to them but they must end up some were. But the reasons i see most are that other ground has got better food or shelter. I have some nice open areas were some really big roe work .Last year i was watching a very large buck in winter while after does i saw him almost every outing. Then he disappeared i never saw him again for 2 months i was asked to remove some roe from a small plantation of new mixed woods about a mile away from this ground and sure enough who was holding the ground the big lad and he is still there never going back near his old patch. So if you have increased food shelter and no disruption you have created an area that Roe might prefer to there own, Just a thought.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 04-07-2010 at 09:45.

would you live in a house with a leaky roof and no food... no you would move. deer are the same. no food no women no peace Im off, not the same for us humans ha ha