10 stone arse end

John Gryphon

This bloke was rolled at daybreak this morning.
He was the smallest bodied stag of three feeding up before getting back into the bush.In answer to a few members that have prev asked about weights.I weighed the arse end...hocked and cut off at the last rib with the wool still on.
150 lbs or 10.7 stone,a fair lump for a rough cull three year old.
His head and neck went 68 lbs.
He was going to head back to the bush pictured for his bed time.

DWSOTS never moved a muscle.

View attachment 75934

View attachment 75935

View attachment 75931View attachment 75932View attachment 75933

Last edited:
And that was the smallest??? :eek:

Sod dragging that home! I think twice about pulling the trigger on a roe standing too close to a gentle downhill slope :oops:

This bloke was rolled at daybreak this morning.
He was the smallest bodied stag of three feeding up before getting back into the bush.In answer to a few members that have prev asked about weights.I weighed the arse end...hocked and cut off at the last rib with the wool still on.
150 lbs or 10.7 stone,a fair lump for a rough cull three year old.
His head and neck went 68 lbs.
He was going to head back to the bush pictured for his bed time.

DWSOTS never moved a muscle.

View attachment 75934

View attachment 75935

View attachment 75931View attachment 75932View attachment 75933

But the scales are made in China. Can you assure the accuracy?:british::rofl::-| Joking aside that is one hell of a spike on that beastie, how long was it?

An incentive to get a crane there John ,if thats the smallest like wow .You gotta be fit to handle those but you,l have a good few meals there :tiphat:

Geezuz tozzy I felt it today but then I dont know how limulus`s missus handles a ten stoner ha ha but I struggled!

Scales were bought from Cabelas bargain cave for $14 AUD..a steal and I have weighed a few things including myself and they are spot on.

Viz,I dont know how long,I never thought about taping it,the head and neck is hanging from a tree limb for the dogs to smorgasbord from it.
I will put a tape on the spike for you,he is a fugly for sure, one of his mates is a pretty fair 'looker' in the shape/beauty dept but needs some years yet.

Last edited:
Kind of makes some of our medal class muntjacks look pretty small! That should feed a few people for a day or two.

It's interesting trying to gauge the scale of these animals, some of them sound monstrously massive, but 218lb whole body with head on is just shy of 100kg, so some of them at least are comparable to our lowland reds then, which at a similar age would weigh that and more with the head off....
I guess when they rut the weight gain must be pretty impressive to get to some of the carcass weights previously mentioned

It's interesting trying to gauge the scale of these animals, some of them sound monstrously massive, but 218lb whole body with head on is just shy of 100kg, so some of them at least are comparable to our lowland reds then, which at a similar age would weigh that and more with the head off....
I guess when they rut the weight gain must be pretty impressive to get to some of the carcass weights previously mentioned

Mate you are missing something...the whole front end less head and neck wasn't included in those weights.

150 arse end,68 lbs head and neck dont forget to add the front end from the last rib onwards and the 80-90 lbs gralloch ha ha
I reckoned he would have made in UK parlance 39 stone/550 lbs.

Back to school for you mate lol.

Mate you are missing something...the whole front end less head and neck wasn't included in those weights.

150 arse end,68 lbs head and neck dont forget to add the front end from the last rib onwards and the 80-90 lbs gralloch ha ha
I reckoned he would have made in UK parlance 39 stone/550 lbs.

Back to school for you mate lol.

Ah sorry, I read it as you'd basically cut the beast in two at the last rib 150 arse end and 68 for the front....!
So a 3 year old stag round here would be weighing around 120-140kg larder weight, i.e. Head and feet off and gralloched.

Say he was 550 lbs then take off 30% of guts/hide/hoofs etc which leaves 385 lbs dressed weight/27 stone hope my maths are right haha.

Adjust if he was only 500 lbs live weight.

No matter what they are very solid big boys,nothing like a moose of course or a monster Wapiti Bull.

Last edited:
Back