Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem on the range!

Problem on the range!

I was getting some practice in on the range today and I had a problem when cycling a round from the magazine. The bolt wouldn’t close properly so I ejected the round and tried the second which loaded and shot fine. Closer inspection of the round afterwards showed the case had been creased in with the bullet head!

These are Federal 100grain .243 soft points, never had a problem like this before, has anyone else?

I'm glad I didn't try to force the issue when it didn't close initially. I think I will be ordering some reloading gear in the near future!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	1719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	1720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	1721

Ouch - poor quality control. Doesn't surprise me - the manufacturers are working as fast as they can to supply the Afghan/Iraq conflicts

Take them back and you'll get a refund for the box or replacement box - whatever you choose.

I'm surprised you even got the bolt shut enough to attempt closing it with that kind of damage.

Get your money back/replacement box and email Federal an see what they got to say about it.

RF

I found one like it last year, that was a Federal 100 grain Power Shok.
    Never did find out a possible cause.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Looks just like the bullet was cockeyed when seated.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've had a couple of cases catch in the sizer die and gice the same result - result = pull bullet retrieve powder and primer and scrap case.

No problem nothing a few light taps with a hammer on an anvil won't sort out ............................

Never found anyhting like it myself but then I don't use a lot of factory ammo. I suspect they have the machinery cranked up speed wise and the case was not perfectly aligned in the seating die.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    thats so true, its reason why so hard to get ahold of... all brass powder primers end up in iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Ouch - poor quality control. Doesn't surprise me - the manufacturers are working as fast as they can to supply the Afghan/Iraq conflicts

Take them back and you'll get a refund for the box or replacement box - whatever you choose.

The power shocks I have have varying depth of seating (up to 2mm) I take it this is what makes factory ammo less accurate than homeload, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    The power shocks I have have varying depth of seating (up to 2mm) I take it this is what makes factory ammo less accurate than homeload, Jim
    Again the only way to determine that is to actually try them. You may be surprised you may get the results you expect. But until you try you will never actually know. I gather you have shot them and they proved less accurate than some hand loads?

Edit;- Oh almost forgot ........................ please remember that the Government run FC insist on factory ammunition and is solely concerned with the clean harvest of the Deer !!! Don't be surprised if a new recommendation comes out severely restriction hand loading, or home loading as they will call it in the interests of Public safety!!!
    Last edited by Brithunter; 05-07-2010 at 08:17.