Thread: How many reloads would you expect to get from new .223 lapua cases.

How many reloads would you expect to get from new .223 lapua cases.

Have bought some new lapua cases for reloading in.223. But can anyone tell me on average how may reloads would i expect to get from them before i have to chuck them.?

Ok let em ask you this. here in my hands i have a bit of string ............How long is it?

Only you can anwser this , the condition of your chamber, the way your dies are set up the pressure of your loads how you lube the cases can and will all have some bearing upon case life. Of course I probably shouldn't have said that but WTH .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ok let em ask you this. here in my hands i have a bit of string ............How long is it?

Only you can anwser this , the condition of your chamber, the way your dies are set up the pressure of your loads how you lube the cases can and will all have some bearing upon case life. Of course I probably shouldn't have said that but WTH .

As mentioned above, but heres a couple more if you full length resize, the case will not last as long as it would by just neck sizing only- ie using fireformed brass, every time you full length resize it compresses the whole case back to factory spec, the more you do it the harder /stiffer the brass becomes thus decreasing its life, but by resizing the neck only you prolong the case life but you must always check every case for signs of damage split neck/and case head size ect, to give you an idea I have cases which have been fired 10 times or more but that is with minimum loads and fireformed brass if you can get hold of the lee reloading manual it will tell you all you need to know plus a lot more as it says within its pages "A LITTLE IMFORMATION CAN BE DANGEROUS" good luck!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

Twice the distance from the middle to the end?
    Seriously, there is no way to tell how long the brass will last. Load below maximum and you'll optimize it.~Muir

but by resizing the neck only you prolong the case life but you must always check every case for signs of damage split neck/and case head size ect,
    Do Not omit the stage to cut your cases to spec length & chamfer / de-burr.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As others have said there is probably no simple answer because as you will be aware there are lots of variables. However, if you are trying to work out your cost per load or are thinking ahead to when you might need to order more brass then the round figure of 10 might act as a useful guide with anything over that being a bonus.

I bought 100 Lapua cases (in 308W) when I first started reloading about 4 years ago and I would guestimate that some have been loaded over 10 times now with no signs of wear and tear. In fact I spun some of them with some steel wool yesterday just to clean them up and they really do look good as new. Now because I've been working up loads a lot of those 10 firings will have been with less than max loads but some of the cases have 5 -6 max loads on them as well.