Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Grayling Fishing

  1. #1

    Grayling Fishing

    Got a few tickets for a stretch of the Ribble where it holds a good head of Grayling which runs through my game shoot. Having never fished a river on the fly and never caught a grayling I am at a bit of a loss where to start. Fairly confident in being able to locate the fish as I have seen plenty of fisherman over the years and also if I was maggot drowning I know where I would go but as for tackle set up on the fly I am at a bit of a loss.

    Can you suggest some foul proof set up's? The river is up at the moment but think it will be back to normal shortly and generally averages between 18 inches and at the deepest 6 ft pools. I was thinking something like a godhead nymph on the bottom and a bloodworm dropper then a team of two dries such as daddy and kink hammer.

    Realise its slightly OT but know theres a lot of anglers on here.

    Ta


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Got a few tickets for a stretch of the Ribble where it holds a good head of Grayling which runs through my game shoot. Having never fished a river on the fly and never caught a grayling I am at a bit of a loss where to start. Fairly confident in being able to locate the fish as I have seen plenty of fisherman over the years and also if I was maggot drowning I know where I would go but as for tackle set up on the fly I am at a bit of a loss.

    Can you suggest some foul proof set up's? The river is up at the moment but think it will be back to normal shortly and generally averages between 18 inches and at the deepest 6 ft pools. I was thinking something like a godhead nymph on the bottom and a bloodworm dropper then a team of two dries such as daddy and kink hammer.

    Realise its slightly OT but know theres a lot of anglers on here.

    Ta

    I use a 9foot 5 weight a single dry with a touch of red or pink colour up stream,
    A team of two or three wet's down stream where the water is flowing well
    And a goldhead or pheasant tail nymph in slow water.

  3. #3
    How clear is it? Find the fish see if there nymphing(feeding). Good grayling flies are tiny little nymphs with 1m beads size 16-18 hook. Down this way on the test and Anton purple. Silver beads are good
    if your allowed to use two fly set up then New Zealand method with small nymph about 8-10 inches of the bend of a large klick hammer dry. Tie the nymph to the klink with 2lb Fluro carbon
    absolutley devastating grayling and trout method. Soon as that klink goes under strike into a fish. The klink acts as a float and indicator and presents the nymph at the right feeding depth. This depth will need to be adjusted depending on the depth of the fish
    the klink also being a dry will get taken by feeding grayling as well from time to time
    good luck

  4. #4
    By the way I use a 3 wt 8.4 rod

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle f View Post
    How clear is it? Find the fish see if there nymphing(feeding). Good grayling flies are tiny little nymphs with 1m beads size 16-18 hook. Down this way on the test and Anton purple. Silver beads are good
    if your allowed to use two fly set up then New Zealand method with small nymph about 8-10 inches of the bend of a large klick hammer dry. Tie the nymph to the klink with 2lb Fluro carbon
    absolutley devastating grayling and trout method. Soon as that klink goes under strike into a fish. The klink acts as a float and indicator and presents the nymph at the right feeding depth. This depth will need to be adjusted depending on the depth of the fish
    the klink also being a dry will get taken by feeding grayling as well from time to time
    good luck
    Exactly as above or use a strike indicator instead of the clink if you find you get tangled. Good advice. Cast it well upstream and let it come to you in a dead drift (ie as if it is drifting unattached to your line). Also there will be a short rise even in winter very often. Look out for it and that is when a tiny klink is killer. Have fun!

  6. #6
    +1 for klink and dropper. Great method and fun to fish too

    Just remember to make the piece of line from the hook bend to the dropper weaker than the piece of tippet to the klink so you only lose the dropper if it breaks. You can also use eg big royal wulff or similar as the dry fly - just make sure it floats well and use plenty of flotant.

  7. #7
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,001
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Or try some czech nymph patterns on a longer rod, say 10ft? Tried this in Slovenia and it was not just effective but huge fun too.

    On the Avon we fished PTN's and - as already mentioned - small klinks when the fish were rising.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 04-11-2016 at 14:47.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  8. #8
    I personally don't enjoy slinging lumps of lead about so Czech nymphing, effective though it can be, is not for me. If you're not used to fly fishing the easiest way to start is probably simple down and across wet fly with a slightly weighted No.14 pheasant tail type nymph on the point (or Gold Ribbed Hares Ear or Copper John) with one dropper about a metre above it with a hackled wet fly. My choice would always be a Red Tag as grayling love flies with red or pink in them, or you could try a spider pattern like Partridge & Orange or Black & Peacock.

    The basic technique is to use a floating line and cast at 45 degrees across the stream above where you have seen grayling rising or suspect they might be, then let the flies swing round with the current. As the flies approach the fish raise the rod and then immediately lower it to let the flies sink then slowly raise the rod just a little again. This makes the flies rise in the water and fish find this very attractive. When you hook a grayling don't pull on it too hard as they stick their dorsal fins up in the current and provide resistance that will tear a hook out. Patience is a virtue but when you land the fish you'll find that grayling seldom lie still waiting for you to unhook them, they wriggle and it's much easier to use a finger or forceps to just drop the hook out (use barbless) in the net and then take care to let the fish fully recover before letting it swim away.

    If this method fails to interest the fish then they are probably lying quite deep and you may need heavier nymphs to reach them, don't forget that they are shoal fish and where there's one there will be others, they are also quite tolerant of careful wading and you can get quite close.

  9. #9
    Thanks great starting points. I have all the bits my rods a bit heavy weight but for now it will do until funds allow a smaller one.

    Is there an advantage to tying to the bend of the book? I have only ever tied droppers onto the line before.

    Ta

  10. #10
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,001
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thanks great starting points. I have all the bits my rods a bit heavy weight but for now it will do until funds allow a smaller one.

    Is there an advantage to tying to the bend of the book? I have only ever tied droppers onto the line before.

    Ta
    More sensitivity - if using the Klink as the bite indicator then tying on the bend of the hook means that the klink is directly on the leader and the nymph is hanging straight down, as opposed to the klink hanging off a length of leader away from the tippet.

    Not sure I've described it very well, but hopefully makes sense?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Similar Threads

  1. Ice Fishing
    By Samhuntvic in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 12:58
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-06-2015, 08:25
  3. Fishing
    By wildfowler.250 in forum Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 12:13
  4. For Sale Fly fishing set-up
    By kernel gadaffi in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-06-2011, 12:19
  5. Fishing
    By squirrelnutkin in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-05-2011, 04:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •