Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First doe this season

First doe this season

Morning my first roe doe this season only presented a head shot freehand as well. Planned on a high seat session this morning so didn't take my sticks but nothing doing in the seat and I was starting to knod off so decided to go for a mouch. She presented about 40 metres and dropped on the spot.
    incidently just wondering how many of us have gone into a high seat and knodded off only to wake minutes or even hours later?
    I bet there's a few out there

regards Steve

Nice one. but why the need for a head shot.

Only presented this way. Stalked in close as I could and weighted a long time for her to firstly get up and to move but she did not present broadside at all after she rose. I have confidence in the rifle and my ability and down she went
    To be honest would not usually take a head shot but as this is a contract I need deer down to report back
    all was well

cheers Steve

To be honest would not usually take a head shot but as this is a contract I need deer down to report back
    all was well

That old chestnut. " I need to get Deer "
    Pressure often means taking risks resulting in Messed up shots

cheers Steve[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle f View Post
    incidently just wondering how many of us have gone into a high seat and knodded off only to wake minutes or even hours later?
    I bet there's a few out there

regards Steve
    Not advisable on my home build high seats - No safety belt or net!

I have some of Keith Watson's seats so all enclosed and safe mate
    with regards to the head shot issue I appreciate it should not be done and is frowned upon but all was well however I'm fully aware that it could have gone wrong so point taken won't be doing it again
    regards Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    all was well

That old chestnut. " I need to get Deer "
    Pressure often means taking risks resulting in Messed up shots

cheers Steve
    [/QUOTE]
    OP has said that shot was good and deer went straight down. So why the criticism? If he had taken a body shot and hit a"a bit far back" or through the brisket etc would you now be making judgement on his choice of shot placement?
    I assume no one has ever f***ed up a shot aimed at the body! There is no difference to shooting for the head or the body if: The deer is stationary, within a range that you are no only confident in but have practised at and proven your ability. (to oneself is all that is necessary), There is not a more suitable shot available.
    Some people may have shot alot of deer and never messed one up, or felt the desire to take a head shot. Well good on them, they are obviously extremely good stalkers, with plenty of deer present and have a will of iron never to have taken a shot in a rush or that on reflection was perhaps marginal.
    I must confess I'm not in that group of elite stalkers and have made a few mistakes. But I learned from them and have never lost a deer yet.

I was out this evening. Bloody farmer still hasn't mowed the rides around the most productive high seat but I thought I would sit up there anyway at dusk. It's 4.5 meters high so I thought I might get away with it. Doe presented at 80 yds. Grass so high the only option was a head shot. Didn't take it and let her go.

I have head shot before, not often and only hinds lying down looking away from me, prone and very steady, inside 100yds. Not got one wrong yet but it is the shot of last resort. Never taken one side or front on, only ever back of the head when lying down.

It's one of the shots on the options list. I just avoid it unless absolutely safe and necessary.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Thanks for the comments I appreciate it head shooting any deer is clearly a contentious subject and rightly so I have followed up a few animals with "boiler room" type shots and they have been found some way away from the shot site expired after a long blood track. Shots on both occasions were good and one took out the heart and the other a good lung hit
    I appreciate the percentage shot and that is the one I usually take but on this occasion I didn't have the choice so I took the head shot and all good
    i agree with wood master that most people have made a mistake and that should be learned from. However law of averages dictates that if you shoot enough at some stage things will go wrong. I think everyone makes mistakes from time to time and if you don't then your lieing it's as simple as that

regards Steve

Funnily enough I shot my first doe of the season today and it was a head shot too. Only about 30m and off sticks but like you I'm confident in my ability and my rifle and (I'm sure this will upset a few) when shooting for meat for myself I don't like to waste any with chest shots if I can help it. Not saying I won't take a chest shot but it's not my preferred option. Tin hat on and waiting.