.357 cast wad cutters

Give Minsterley Ranges a shout. I sold them all mine a couple of years ago and I had thousands. I'm sure they would still have some.

Regards. Ezzy

You could try Andy Allwood in Bracknell. Google TFSA Bracknell for his contact details.

regards

Mark

By their design, hollow base wadcutters will have to be swaged. Flat base, or bevel base wadcutters can be either swaged or cast. Hannam's Reloading may have all three.

+1 for Hannams for a range of options... (and their flat base semi wadcutters shoot really well IMHO).

By their design, hollow base wadcutters will have to be swaged. Flat base, or bevel base wadcutters can be either swaged or cast. Hannam's Reloading may have all three.
Does that make my hollow base WC mold a rarity?? ;) You can cast HBWCs via a removable pin that you reinstall with every cast. It is a real PIA and not worth the efforts. Solid base will work fine unless it's for the finest degree of pistol competition (50 yd Bullseye, for example) ~Muir
(PS: And even at that, I switched to a modified SWC plain base...)

Unless you can persuade Muir to send you a few hard cast HBWC's over, almost any you come across will be soft pure lead. You will need to keep the velocity well down to say 7-900 fps or there's a real possibility the skirt will separate.

Muir! It's the exception, though, that proves the rule! But yes you are right there are moulds to cast HBWC bullets. In fact I commissioned RCBS to make the Webley .450 Target Bullet mould...aka the Naval Bullet as the Royal Navy Shooting Team pre-WWI used it...that is a dome headed HBWC.

On .38 Special HBWC once upon a time Lyman for sure and possibly Lee? But I doubt you'll find anyone selling them commercially. Or the moulds now by mainstream makers? A labour of love casting them.

Last edited:
Muir! It's the exception, though, that proves the rule! But yes you are right there are moulds to cast HBWC bullets. In fact I commissioned RCBS to make the Webley .450 Target Bullet mould...aka the Naval Bullet as the Royal Navy Shooting Team pre-WWI used it...that is a dome headed HBWC.

On .38 Special HBWC once upon a time Lyman for sure and possibly Lee? But I doubt you'll find anyone selling them commercially. Or the moulds now by mainstream makers? A labour of love casting them.
I don't know if anyone makes them. I doubt it. The reason being that the age of serious revolver competition is gone. My 50 yard X-ring Colt Shooting Master gathers dust.......~Muir

Ah the Shooting Master. That's the one on the Colt New Service frame?

Never liked Colt revolvers, in truth, although owned a Trooper III (my first brand new to me revolver) and a Colt Detective Special. Didn't like the way the frame rotated in the hand under double action fire. If only, if only, they'd made them with a "hump". Always wanted a Lawman III with 2" barrel. Until I handled one! Sold the Colt Trooper III and got a Model 27 and never had anything other than Smiths after that.

Latest one we've seen here at our range is a Colt Commando that came complete with its wartime instruction leaflet.

Ah the Shooting Master. That's the one on the Colt New Service frame?

Never liked Colt revolvers, in truth, although owned a Trooper III (my first brand new to me revolver) and a Colt Detective Special. Didn't like the way the frame rotated in the hand under double action fire. If only, if only, they'd made them with a "hump". Always wanted a Lawman III with 2" barrel. Until I handled one! Sold the Colt Trooper III and got a Model 27 and never had anything other than Smiths after that.

Latest one we've seen here at our range is a Colt Commando that came complete with its wartime instruction leaflet.
It is the New Service frame. They were hand built and exquisitely timed. Mine would shoot 1" at 50 yards with a full cylinder (not being selective) with surplus USAF competition wadcutters from the 50's.

I am not a fan of the Colt's either. That is my only remaining Colt and it remains because it is a thing of mechanical beauty. I prefer S&W and have a number of them from Model 10 Heavy barrel to J & I frames in 38 Special (2) and 32 S&W Long, N-Frame Model 25-2 Combat Special, Model 28 Highway Patrol in 4 and 6 inch, two model 27, 8 3/8th inch, a Model 29 in 6 inch, a Model 17-2 22LR and a 2nd Hand Ejector 6.5 inch in 44 Special. I love shooting them. I have fires thousands and thousands of lead WC in my 38's and prefer them for self defense. Aguila marketed them regularly and I bought several boxes. They shoot very well.

Had Python and a Diamondback. Didn't care for them. Too delicate.~Muir

Smiths I've had...pre-Model 27 '.357 Magnum' with factory five inches barrel. Last Smith I ever owned. I gave it away, to a German, rather than surrender it in 1996. I use its serial number as a password forever to remind me of John Major and his Tory Government handgun ban.

Mode13 in three and four inches, Model 65 ditto. Model 40, Model 12 with two inches barrel. Model 29 with five inches factory barrel and factory five inches barrel in nickel. Came out of Douglas Hellstrom's connection with the then UK importer. From whom I bought it. Model 10 four inches barrel. Model 27 with six inches barrel. The Model 29 that was a twenty-first birthday present. A pre-Model 57 that was according to Roy Jinks a tool room gun. My it was accurate! And two .32 S & W Long Military & Police K Frame. Plus a fair few of the British .38 S & W WWII contract guns. Plus WWI Triplock and HEII in .455 and a Model 1950 Military & Police in .45 ACP. But oddly in all that...and more I've forgotten I never owned a Model 19 nor a Model 36 and couldn't see the point of the Model 586 nor 686 series.

The three I regret no longer owning are the Model 12, the Model 1950 (yes not the 1955) and that pre-Model 57. After that the three five inches guns the blue and nickel Model 29s and that pre-Model 27.

Never rated their self loading pistols. After the Colt 1911 everything else is second division!

Last edited:
I forgot one. A model 14 8.375" target pistol and a M&P five incher.

You had some nice revolvers there! I can't imagine what it must have been like to give them up.

Smith's I've had: Model 10's, 12's 13 (3" FBI issue) Model 1917's, Model 15, Model 18's, Model 25-5, Model 24 4", M-29 4 inch, Model 57 6 inch, a Model 52 wadcutter gun and more that I can't remember. :(~Muir

Apart from the pre-27, the 12 and the 40 (and even that got sold) once the itch was scratched they were moved on. I never had more than four or so at a time as couldn't afford the 'dead' money. I had a 1917 too, yes. And a break open .32 S & W singleshot of the 1890s type. Saw 14s but never owned nor shot one but did the 15 at USAF Upper Heyford air base in UK. When that was US Air Force Police sidearm. Ah well what's past is history in truth.

I won't even start on the Colt 1911s. One 1913 made, commercial with a correct half moon backsight, another about 1914 but refinished and the most interestig what in UK some called a "Heydrich gun". A 1938 .38 Super calibre Super Match...the fixed sight model...with British military acceptance marks. Story was these were a batch bought by us from "you" in 1940 and as it wasn't in a common calibre they were used (some) to arm the men dropped into Europe to assasinate Reinhard Heydrich and other SOE agents. And only paid Uk £ 240 as here no one collected such things.

Back