The .264 Winchester Magnum.

A Guy Out West

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Like the .257 Weatherby, it is one of the cartridges that I always wanted. Like the .257 Weatherby, after studying the reloading manuals, I always have to ask myself, why do I need a .264 when I have a .270? Admittedly, I am not a student of the .264 diameter bullet. According to the Nosler manuals # 7 & 8, the ICBM looking .264 WM is not much if anything beyond a 6.5mm/06 or a .270 Win, and the latter rounds do it with a 22" barrel. Is this one of those rounds you get just because or does it have some kind of magic to it? The kids found a piece of brass last time we were out and it got me Jonesing about it again. Alberta Boy, Muir, down under folks? I'm guessing this is not a popular round in the UK, could be wrong.
Cheers

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Like the .257 Weatherby, it is one of the cartridges that I always wanted. Like the .257 Weatherby, after studying the reloading manuals, I always have to ask myself, why do I need a .264 when I have a .270? Admittedly, I am not a student of the .264 diameter bullet. According to the Nosler manuals # 7 & 8, the ICBM looking .264 WM is not much if anything beyond a 6.5mm/06 or a .270 Win, and the latter rounds do it with a 22" barrel. Is this one of those rounds you get just because or does it have some kind of magic to it? The kids found a piece of brass last time we were out and it got me Jonesing about it again. Alberta Boy, Muir, down under folks? I'm guessing this is not a popular round in the UK, could be wrong.
Cheers

The only magic the .264 WM has got is replacing the barrel with a new one every fifteen hundred rounds.
A .270 with a 24 inch barrel is just has good.
And the .257 W is another oil burner as well.
That's my six peneth worth.

It's not just the 264 that isn't popular here, all of the fast 6.5's don't really get a look in. Shame really as the 6.5-06 is everything a 25-06 is, and more, whilst offering better sectional density and heavier bullets than the 270 if that floats your boat.

It's not just the 264 that isn't popular here, all of the fast 6.5's don't really get a look in. Shame really as the 6.5-06 is everything a 25-06 is, and more, whilst offering better sectional density and heavier bullets than the 270 if that floats your boat.

Unless they are discontinued Nosler have a 160gr partition,
If you have a 6.5-06 and a .270 with same barrel length same bullet the .270 will be fastest.
As for sectional density .264 or .277 it's a moot point.

A friend had a Winchester Model 70 in the calibre. It was nocely made but, of course, the magazine held one less round and the cartridge case a lock more powder then did a .270 WCF. And for British stalking use it didn't have any benefits...nor kill the deer any deader than dead.

Couple of things, of course the 270 will be faster, it has a greater cross-section for the gases to act upon but the same could be said for 270 vs 30-06.
Also, I didn't say that sectional density was important to me, just that some prefer Bullet with higher SD, hence the float your boat remark.
Nosler do indeed do a 160gr .277" bullet so that definitely is an advantage if you have a 270 and want to up weight and/or sectional density.
i was more referring to the fact that 6.5-06 is more versatile that the 25-06 whilst still getting close to, and exceeding depending on viewpoint, the very capable 270 you obviously like.

Just been out with my Sako L61r finbear with a 25.5 inch Walther barrel and an Ase Utra JetZ moderator on the end. It's a heavy gun, therefore very smooth and remarkably quiet to shoot . Hornady 129g sp at 3100fps do a great job . I've not tried other bullets yet as I struck lucky with the 129ers first time. The speed helps the .264 work to its limits at range. I am planning on using 125g (or 140g) partitions next to see how they perform.

There are plenty of alternative calibres that are more efficient, harder hitting, kinder on the barrel and so on and so forth but all I can say is that you won,t be disappointed if you take the plunge.

As an aside, the European equivalent is the 6.5x68 and it is just as effective.

Cheers

Hi.
Presuming your finances will run to it then just get one and enjoy it. Once the itch has been scratched and if you find it unsatisfactory then move on to the next project. It is not as if you have to satisfy anyone in a licensing department :lol:.
So it burns a lot of powder and eats barrels. Who cares? Barrels are like Tyres on your car. They wear out and you replace them.
I too fancy a .257 Weatherby.

Yorkie.

Nosler do indeed do a 160gr .277" bullet so that definitely is an advantage if you have a 270 and want to up weight and/or sectional density.

I had a handle of some GJ. Too bloomin' long they were! All the powder space was taken up and I doubt, in truth, if some rifles had the twist to stabilise them. Even Nosler's Partition Gold in .270 WCF were too long for my rifle.

Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to put this want into the "only if I get a super good deal" category.
Cheers

I think, GOW, you should be able to name the price as nobody else would want the thing! But...and here's the nub...check that cases are available and remember that the only factory ammunition now has the 140 grain bullet.

Here is UK if you're woodland stalking or high seat that'll make for much less deer carcass left to carry home. But on the hill in Scotland it might just have a point.

But in the USA "out West" across a bean field or for mountain game you'll be pretty happy.

Last edited:
GOW, a friend of mine loves his .264 WM, but he loves all rifles, and has more than I do. :D

He does not use it much around home, but he is from the Midwest, and goes home to hunt big cut corn fields of Iowa and rolling hills of South Dakota. He said the .270 Win or 7mm RM will do the same job, but he took the old .264 WM Model 70 Supergrade and his new Kimber 84 in .325 WSM this year, and took deer with each. He said the .264 WM was perfect for a 400 yard shot on a mule deer, from on a ridge, down into a creek bottom, where he could get no closer, and just had to set up and wait for it to move into an opening.

Couple of things, of course the 270 will be faster, it has a greater cross-section for the gases to act upon but the same could be said for 270 vs 30-06.
Also, I didn't say that sectional density was important to me, just that some prefer Bullet with higher SD, hence the float your boat remark.
i was more referring to the fact that 6.5-06 is more versatile that the 25-06 whilst still getting close to, and exceeding depending on viewpoint, the very capable 270 you obviously like.

Sorry Jim,
I was not trying to be clever.
Regards,
Uncas.

Nor was I trying to be abrupt although I feel I may have achieved it nonetheless!

I like a good difference of opinion, talking to people who always agree with you is boring:
"do you like .308?"
"yes, do you?"
"yes"

Nor was I trying to be abrupt although I feel I may have achieved it nonetheless!

I like a good difference of opinion, talking to people who always agree with you is boring:
"do you like .308?"
"yes, do you?"
"yes"

Indeed I do in a stutzen! but I also like the odd-six for the bigger stuff.
But what are you doing in no-mans land and not up here in Yorkshire?

Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to put this want into the "only if I get a super good deal" category.
Cheers
I have had quite a few 264 wm all were David Lloyd rifles and Enfieldspares is totally right with what he said about the type of shooting it would suited for as it would be here on hill reds

The 264 was never very popular up here . I've known a few people that used them . Two of them were Sheep freaks and one friend who hunted a lot in the short grass prairie down south for Pronghorn and Mulies . It is a capable round for medium game , but there are more practical cartridges . That being said , when I was younger , I used a welded up semi only BAR for White-Tails , so practicality is over-rated in my opinion .
If you feel the need for a 264 WM brother , I think you should get one , just because it is different .

AB aka the hurtin albertan

Back