Removing of bramble bushes

alas the suggestions above wont help us here in Oz,I think from memory that we have over a million acres under blackberry bushes in Victoria,presumably thats what you call brambles.And they have had a continual war waged on them with everything thrown at them.
In th emore open country I used a tractor equipped with a good bucket to push them out and then spray the regrowth. This importantly reduces the amount of spray used and also the height of the spray where it can be transported to non target areas in spraying 2 metre high bushes.On a 50,00 acre place in hilly country it has to be done by chopper spraying.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

A brushcutter/mulcher on my petrol strimmer will have to do for now - looking into this I found that my Strimmer (Stihl FS 94 C) is not sufficiently heavy duty to put a Stihl brushcutter/mulcher blade on. However there are some generic ones available that will fit, so duly ordered etc. and will try out soon.

I have a generic Kawasaki...a Danarm badged one with only a 24cc (?) engine...that works fine with the two string Jet-fit head. Over 34cc you can use the 4 string head.

I have just been clearing end of season brambles off the firewood pile with it...a blade is a pain to use if the brambles have grown over anything solid...

Come up and try it...I could do with a bit more cleared!

Alan

I have a generic Kawasaki...a Danarm badged one with only a 24cc (?) engine...that works fine with the two string Jet-fit head. Over 34cc you can use the 4 string head.

I have just been clearing end of season brambles off the firewood pile with it...a blade is a pain to use if the brambles have grown over anything solid...

Come up and try it...I could do with a bit more cleared!

Alan

Thanks for the kind offer Alan!
Btw I hear you're hammering the Fallow and are getting a reputation in the DMG as a 'deer magnet' ;)

I found that the Oregon Jet-fit flexi-blade head and strings works well on brambles

On the backside of this I ordered one for my little petrol trimmer (Mountfield). Was fairly easy to fit, although had to be a little creative, and after a long battle trying to get the bloody thing to start (fuel pipes had completely rotted, I discovered) I did knock a few brambles back. Ended up snapping the cords quite quickly and the other set the provided vanished because I hadn't fitted them properly. Not to worry, at least I know how it works now and should be less stressful than the awful bump head which never seemed to work properly!

Thanks for the kind offer Alan!
Btw I hear you're hammering the Fallow and are getting a reputation in the DMG as a 'deer magnet' ;)

Somebody else, not me, I am sorry to say!

snip... Ended up snapping the cords quite quickly and the other set the provided vanished because I hadn't fitted them properly. snip

I have found that you must follow the instructions and keep the foam pad in the tube of sticks damp...otherwise they do not last as long if they dry out.

I also lost a couple to start with...the technique for putting them in I discovered is to push it in until about 20mm sticks out the far end and then pull the long bit back so that the grip bites in.

Having a Victorinox multi-tool on your belt is a must for pulling out the old bits.

The swatting technique works well with the little motor, but I do tend to use the outer edge of the described circle rather than using the bit close to the head again they cut more efficiently and last longer that way...have been using it this morning clearing a fire wood pile and a heap of walling stone and it coped with brambles, stingers, Old Man's Beard and this years Elder growth. Twenty minutes worth used one pair, obviously they last longer if its just nettles and grass.

Alan

Last edited:
Mine was the set for little domestic trimmers, line is pretty thin (and only 4 bits given so no tube). Still better than bump head

Mine was the set for little domestic trimmers, line is pretty thin (and only 4 bits given so no tube). Still better than bump head

I found that the prices for the tubes varied hugely, Oregon 525243 (6mm, green and yellow).

Premium Saw Chain seems cheapest currently. £30 inc VAT and delivery. A tube lasts me four or five years.

Alan

Way too big for my little strimmer. I'd say 2mm line tops

Its 6mm across the peaks of the teeth...maybe 3.5-4mm AF.

The normal whip line I used to use was Ø2.5mm but the 6mm flexiblade works fine with the little 24cc motor...I am sure it would be even more effective with a more powerful machine, but then you have to lug a heavier machine around all day...

Alan

I have 2 brush cutters/strimmers I use the Kawasaki with a Oregon metal blade and the smaller Husqvarna with 2.7mm cord to tidy up
For really bad patches the tractor mounted hedge cutting flail

Back