Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When the sh*t hits the fan..

When the sh*t hits the fan..

The UK imports far more than it grows in order to survive. When items become sparse, or there is a rumor things are going to thin on the ground, we all know how the public panics. Any one of five elements of society could bring about a change for the worst in the living conditions off us all. It has happened recently in quite a few countries, including Russia. Many perfectly sane people present a compelling argument that the situation is inevitable. Our wild deer population could be a staple for a period for people, who know where they are and have enough rounds to shoot them. Has anyone here obtained the knowledge of curing and storing venison for long periods of time? I've tried it with mixed results.
    Last edited by Op_JB; 06-11-2016 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Op_JB View Post
    Our wild deer population could be a staple for a period for people, who know where they are and have enough rounds to shoot them. Has anyone here obtained the knowledge of curing and storing venison for long periods of time? I've tried it with mixed results.
    A quick read of this SD thread will point you in the right direction. However, come election night in America, you might want to make sure you are fully stocked up on tinned food, with a suitable subterranean abode or at least hoping they never let him near the red button!

SD Regular
    Ah, "preppers", they call them.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Ah, "preppers", they call them.
    Yep that's one word for them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    A quick read of this SD thread will point you in the right direction. However, come election night in America, you might want to make sure you are fully stocked up on tinned food, with a suitable subterranean abode or at least hoping they never let him near the red button!
    A great many of us that will actually vote in the election are far more in fear that SHE will sell the red button off to the highest "donor" to the family foundation.

But back to the original topic - the Amish/Mennonite communities (they purposefully live with 19th century or earlier technology) in the US routinely can meat/sausage in glass mason jars. Done correctly it has an I refrigerated shelf life of at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    A quick read of this SD thread will point you in the right direction.
    Thank you.

A short while ago there was a bit on the Swedish radio about how Sweden had in the past a stock of food and fuel to last X amount of months. Now there is little or no stocks of food or fuel.
    I buy an extra can or bag of something every week. After a year i will start to use and rotate my humble food store. My water comes from a well so even if no electric i can get water with a bucket. Plenty of ammo in stock and plenty of meat walking around in the forest. I've had a single gas stove and plenty of gas containers in stock for years. Quite a dab hand at cooking on a open fire as well.

Jagare; Being close to areas of natural resources in a country with a very low population will help you enormously.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by Op_JB View Post
    Jagare; Being close to areas of natural resources in a country with a very low population will help you enormously.
    Yes too right and if the area contains said lots of game to eat so much for the better.
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    A great many of us that will actually vote in the election are far more in fear that SHE will sell the red button off to the highest "donor" to the family foundation.

But back to the original topic - the Amish/Mennonite communities (they purposefully live with 19th century or earlier technology) in the US routinely can meat/sausage in glass mason jars. Done correctly it has an I refrigerated shelf life of at least a year.
    I failed to mention that I think he is the least worst option! Don't you wish you could take "option C"?