Bit of walnut for pegging a hole

J111

Guys

im after a bit of walnut for pegging and redrilling a dodgy sling stud hole. Any suggestions on where to get some from? eBay? Will turn on lathe so any bit..

cheers

Guys

im after a bit of walnut for pegging and redrilling a dodgy sling stud hole. Any suggestions on where to get some from? eBay? Will turn on lathe so any bit..

cheers
ive got a peice of walnut for knife handle you can have Iam in Oxford every 3weeks or I will send it to you. Trevor

i have a number of stocks that could be donors

take a picture of the area for grain and colour match and I will cut a core out of one

This is what I like about this forum, help is always freely given, be it advice or gestures as above.

Very kind offers thanks all. I'll try and take a picture and see if anyone has a bit that matches.

If you can get a rimless cartridge case in a electric drill...say 9mm Parabellum....or even .30-06...or .45 ACP...you can use that to cut a plug or cap by drilling IN to the grain using the case mouth as a cutter. Then lever it out by going in at an angle with a fine chisel. Rather than making a giant walnut matchstick running with the grain.

Then just use a slightly undersize drill to drill out the stud hole and tap you plug in lining up the grain. I've used that on Lee Enfield rifles a number of times to repair sight screw damage just forward of the safety catch on SMLE rifles.

In fact if you're really careful you can drill out that plug or "cap" from inside your fore-end under the barrel by removing the barrel and action from the woodwork. Where the barrel free floats so it won't be missed.

Now you now why "enfieldspares" is my moniker. Not that I have done that for over fifteen years. But by then I'd got the email and etc., so couldn't be bothered to change it.

Last edited:
I've some dark English walnut that looks a pretty good match. I could sent you a block that you can put in the vice and work with if you like.
As for doing the job, for what a counterbore and plug cutter cost, I'd just buy one and do the job in a few minutes.

003.jpg

looks pretty close
ignore the shade, you can darken easy enough
will cut a plug and you can have a look

PM me your details

Any good lumber yard or big hardware store, and surely a woodworking store, will have dowels of various diameters, usually 36 inches long, in walnut, oak, birch, ash, poplar, and pine. You can use a Forstner bit to cut the hole cleanly to the exact diameter of the dowel.

Back