Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot break barrel rifle

Single shot break barrel rifle

I am keen to get an affordable single shot break barrel rifle. What would you guys recommend? and in what calibre. I would want to use this rifle for everything from Roe to Kudu. I love 30-06 but a bit worried about recoil in such a light rifle. I don't like 308 (no idea why). I was thinking about 7 x 57.
    Tusker.

H&R Handi Rifle - really cool! I've got one in 45/70. They're made (sadly not any more) in many calibres.

I have a fairly light ( 6lb 5 oz) small frame 7x57R combination gun, with a hard buttplate. The recoil is not bad, for me, but I have been shooting .303 and .30-06 since I was twelve years old. I also have an 8x57IRS combination gun which is about 7 lbs, and recoil is not bad at all. Of course, the 7x57R and 8x57IRS are loaded about 150 fps slower than the bolt action ammunition. I have also had a Ruger No. 1A 7x57 Mauser, bought halves with a friend, who now has it and will never sell it.

Friends have a Blaser K95 in 7x57R, a Merkel K1 in .270 Win, and Thompson break actions in 7mm-08 and .30-30 Win. They all say they don't notice the recoil of these light rifles.

If I bought another single shot or combination gun, it would probably be 7x57 or 7x57R. It is a very accurate cartridge in these rifles.

Heym 44B in 7x57 is a brilliant little rifle. Accurate very light and soft to shoot. Not many around though.

Look at the Merkel, haenel or one of the Italian Zolis etc. Lots of nice ones in Europe - see http://www.frankonia.de, but only a few in the U.K. Get a rimmed cartridge - empties fall out making a fast reload. 7x65r very versatile, 7x56r nice a mild and v effective.

and don't discount combination guns. Are often as light as a single barrel but seem to be quite a bit cheaper. Have a look in the Holt's auction - you will often find one with several barrel sets.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 06-11-2016 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Get a rimmed cartridge - empties fall out making a fast reload. 7x65r very versatile, 7x57r nice a mild and v effective.

and don't discount combination guns. Are often as light as a single barrel but seem to be quite a bit cheaper. Have a look in the Holt's auction - you will often find one with several barrel sets.
    And out of a cold barrel, that first shot or two, many combination guns shoot very tight and repeatable groups, to the sights.

FWIW I have a Bergara thumbhole break barrel single shot. I had decided on this as it's affordable, has a good name, it's ambidextrous, and it's .308 (other calibres, quite a few, are available.)

Initially it was simply awful in terms of accuracy. It's a very light rifle and I think some of it may have been down to pilot error and I definitely had to made a significant effort to cancel out a developing flinch. The recoil was not severe in any painful sense of the word, but it was wild. As I was experimenting with loads the group sizes started to shrink just as I was on the cusp of sending it back. A sound moderator calmed the wild recoil down and it is now a manageable rifle that is shooting comfortable within an inch at 110 yards using hand loads. Factory loads are more variable. Apart from the initial accuracy issues, which I cannot account for, the only other criticism I hold is that it would have been nice if it ejected the case when you break the barrel rather than poking the case out just enough to grab it, but a bit of practice makes a reload in reasonable, but not great, time. In all, I like it.

Established Poster
    How about this,

Rossi 0.243 Win stainless synthetic single shot rifle. Hammer action, 23" factory threaded barrel - 1/2 UNF.

and its affordable.
    you can find it here,

https://www.jrussellfirearms.com/gunsales/gfs.php

Well it's far from being economical , but I'd go with a Blaser K-95 in 6.5x57R with possibly a second barrel in 6.5x65R RWS .

A second hand or new Ruger no 1 in .270 would be nice.