Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon shooting: my red letter day

Pigeon shooting: my red letter day

It taken me a while to get this video made as I haven't had time. However, this video is from the 27th September 2016, an outing on barley stubble.

When I arrived at the fields the trees just exploded with pigeons, so I had a feeling it was going to be a great day. The wind was very strong and I only had one option on where to put the hide and unfortunately it meant the wind was in my face. This made for great shooting as some of the birds were shot going over my head with the wind. At times the wind was so strong that it was difficult to keep the hide up.

The most action came after lunch when the pigeons just starting decoying much better.

This was my first ever solo red letter day on pigeons and I packed up as soon as I reached the milestone. I probably could have stayed on another couple of hours & got another 20 or 30, but I had enough fun by that stage.

Thanks for watching, make sure & stay tuned to the end for the bloopers section!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    That looks like a lot of fun. I would just as soon do that as a big game hunt. Good shooting. Guessing a 1 1/8 load of #6 would work nicely in a 12 ga. What load were you using? Are there guides that can be hired to take a guy pigeon shooting? This shoot reminds me of the dove hunts in Argentina that I see on yuotube. Loads of action.

Well done, good to see post of this on here as it is hard work to find a good day like that. It is a skill that many on here would not get close to.

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun. I would just as soon do that as a big game hunt. Good shooting. Guessing a 1 1/8 load of #6 would work nicely in a 12 ga. What load were you using? Are there guides that can be hired to take a guy pigeon shooting? This shoot reminds me of the dove hunts in Argentina that I see on yuotube. Loads of action.
    I am actually using 1 oz clay loads, in 7.5 shot, if the ranges are sensible then this load will do the trick.

There are probably more pigeon guides in mainland U.K., but it is possible to go devoting with a guide. During harvest would be the best time, July or august.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Well done, good to see post of this on here as it is hard work to find a good day like that. It is a skill that many on here would not get close to.

Tim.243
    Thanks Tim for the kind words. It has taken me a long time to achieve the red letter day. I have done it a few times with crows and a few times with mates, but never by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ollie01 View Post
    Thanks Tim for the kind words. It has taken me a long time to achieve the red letter day. I have done it a few times with crows and a few times with mates, but never by myself.

No problem at all as it does piss me off with very few replies on a good post, ask a question on a £100.00 knife and they are all pulling their bore snakes.........

I've used 28gm 7.5's in fibre cyl/1/4 in a 30" Browning for years with a lot of input from Peter Theobald who is local to me showing me his 45 years of shooting pigeons.

Tim.243

Great shooting and well done.
    A must see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    No problem at all as it does piss me off with very few replies on a good post, ask a question on a £100.00 knife and they are all pulling their bore snakes.........

I've used 28gm 7.5's in fibre cyl/1/4 in a 30" Browning for years with a lot of input from Peter Theobald who is local to me showing me his 45 years of shooting pigeons.

Tim.243
    That first paragraph made me laugh lol.

I used to love peter's column in the sporting gun magazine, the man seems to know his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetownie View Post
    Great shooting and well done.
    A must see.
    Thanks for watching mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ollie01 View Post
    That first paragraph made me laugh lol.

I used to love peter's column in the sporting gun magazine, the man seems to know his stuff.

Well the first part is closer to the mark and we give them credit lol...

I see Peter on a regular basis, our best day was 371 on bean stubble! I get an invite on his pheasant shoot in return for shooting the foxes and fixing the odd mower bits that fall off lol

Tim.243