Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A narrow escape in Montana

A narrow escape in Montana

Well, my trip didn't get off to the best start, i visited a rifle range near Dillon to check zero, there were 2 groups of shooters there, a group of locals, and locals with some visitors from Canada.
    I asked the club officer what the set-up was, he said when all shooters have fired and cleared their weapons we all approach and attach our targets, when all of us have placed our targets and returned to the safe area he gives the all clear to commence firing, which all made perfect sense to me.
    The range consisted of targets from 25 yards out to 600 yards, at right angles to the main range were targets at a range of 25 yards.
    Well i didn't have a staple gun so i was the last to place my target as i only had tape, i turned to return and 'boom!' i was shocked but assumed the shot was at right angles to me, how wrong was I!
    The club member rushed to me and asked if i was ok, he checked my coat for a hole!
    He then walked across the range and had strong words with the Canadian, the guy wouldn't see me to explain or apologise, but a very apologetic friend of his did so on his behalf (i assume he was scared?) it was then that i noticed i had a slight shake in my hands as the reality of what had just happened hit home, apparently the member informed the guy he had called the Sheriff, at which point they left, but too late, the police stopped them down the road and took a statement.
    Apparently he told them i was standing behind the target, which confused me until i realised if he had fired at the 50 yard target it might of hidden me, having said that he hadn't been given the all clear to fire.
    The police asked me what i wanted to do, well it wasn't intentional so what could i do, i had to just let it go and requested they contact him to discuss the situation.
    In the photo the furthest target is where i was, i think the target on the right was the 50 yard, he would have been shooting to the right at an angle, so i was very lucky!

Cheers
    Richard

Eeek! These things are always scariest when you stand back and think 'what if???'

Sounds a bit like early days at "The Bog", happened to me there once.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I go to Montana hunting.
    There is a range there but the targets are staggered so an incident like your would not happen!
    Also the chaps there are very safety concuss.
    You were lucky not to have been hit as no doubt he was using expanding ammo.

Hope the rest of the trip went well

I've messed my pants just reading it! Glad your ok!!!
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

That is scary mate, are inexperienced shooters not supposed to be accompanied/mentored at full bore ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by vulpinehunter View Post
    TBH, I don't think being banjoed by a FMJ would be much fun either?

Hi Richard

Important outcome is that you are all ok - no unplanned/non-designed holes etc!
    Came out in a cold sweat on the possibilities..........

Hope the rest of the trip works out far better - await to read.

L
    Last edited by Loki; 07-11-2016 at 19:02. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vulpinehunter View Post
    I go to Montana hunting.
    There is a range there but the targets are staggered so an incident like your would not happen!
    Also the chaps there are very safety concuss.

Hope the rest of the trip went well
    Yes these were staggered targets as well, i'm not sure how he didn't see me.
    How have you done on your trips?
    Find any Elk/Deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Stelf View Post
    That is scary mate, are inexperienced shooters not supposed to be accompanied/mentored at full bore ranges?
    I'm not sure what the rules are where that is concerned, i know if you were born after 1985 you have to do a hunters education course in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi Richard

Important outcome is that you are all ok - no unplanned/non-designed holes etc!
    Came out in a cold sweat on the possibilities..........

Hope the rest of the trip works out far better - await to read.

L
    It didn't work out too bad!
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...Elk-2016/page5

Cheers

Richard

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    That is scarey and inexcusable. Montana - if a griz doesn't get you another hunter just might. Wonder how Muir has managed to stayed on this side of the grass all these years?