Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best game pie I have ever made and tasted!!

The best game pie I have ever made and tasted!!

I did a game pie following the recipe in this vid at the weekend and it is by far the best thing I have made myself, even with me cheating and using Jus-rol shortcrust pastry!!

The beauty of us shooting our own game is that we can be picky about what goes in and the quality is second to none as I take off every bit of sinew and funk when butchering. I used hen pheasant breast, pigeon breast, young rabbit saddle, Roe fillet and my home cured Guancole from pigs cheeks instead of the Pancetta. The pheasant and pigeon got fried first whilst the rabbit and venison got poached in the red wine making it proper tender!!

If you give it a go you won't be disappointed!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Sounds good. I have found that using Fillet in a stew or Pie. Is not ideal. Much rather use Leg meat, having first broke the leg down into the various muscle groups. Fillet requires a Hot searing heat and eaten Medium rare in my case. Only my opinion, from experience thinking I would get a better stew using Fillet.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Sounds good. I have found that using Fillet in a stew or Pie. Is not ideal. Much rather use Leg meat, having first broke the leg down into the various muscle groups. Fillet requires a Hot searing heat and eaten Medium rare in my case. Only my opinion, from experience thinking I would get a better stew using Fillet.

That's a fair point mate it may have been a bit extravagant but it still tasted very good. Most of my haunch meat ends up as biltong and I usually end up with surplus fillet which in itself may be unusual!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Stratts

Thanks for posting this

I butchered a muntjac and prep'd 4 brace of partridge yesterday. I'm out shooting again on Wednesday so if I get a pheasant or pigeon I may well give this a try.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

All my Fillet goes into Pepper and Cream sauce. Your licking your plate to get every last drop of Sauce.

I wouldn't mind having a go at making Biltong. Had some friends over from South Africa. When they returned home they sent me a big bag of Biltong. Was really good.

Dead easy to make yerself a drying/biltong box mate. All you need is a plastic box/tub with a lid, a lightbulb holder and a 4" extract fan. Light bulb holder fitted to the bottom, fan at the top on the opposite side and a few holes or a vent fitted at top and bottom with fine mesh to allow air flow through and pests out. The fan draws the air past the bulb gently warming it and drying out the meat then expelling it out of the box.

Either some stainless or plastic pipe fitted through holes either side of the box to hang the meat from and you're away!

I have some drying in my box at the moment,

Stratts

Spot on Stratts only difference to mine bulb holder low down on one end fan high up on other end of box
    Last edited by african jack; 07-11-2016 at 16:11.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info. Will be giving it a go when I have some Leg meat to spare.

Cheers

And as a South African - i can attest to the quality of the biltong Stratts turns out - as good as anything i have ever had in South Africa! His box works a treat and his recipe for the cure is second-to-none.

atb,
    nonethewiser

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    Spot on Stratts only difference to mine bulb holder low down on one end fan high up on other end of box
    Come on then, explain to me. What's the difference between this and a dehydrator?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!