Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crimped bullets

crimped bullets

A friend of mine has sold his .243 and has a lot of reloaded ammo left that he said i could have.
    I want to breakdown the rounds to check and reuse the components but the bullets have been crimped.

Can i do this to these rounds and is it safe to do so?

I would be using a kinetic hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman sam View Post
    A friend of mine has sold his .243 and has a lot of reloaded ammo left that he said i could have.
    I want to breakdown the rounds to check and reuse the components but the bullets have been crimped.

Can i do this to these rounds and is it safe to do so?

I would be using a kinetic hammer.
    yes
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I had some Sako crimped FMJ and nearly broke the hammer trying (and failing) to dislodge the bullets. Why can't you just fire the ammo as it is?

Crimped bullets can be hard to disassemble with a kinetic hammer, depends how hard they're crimped and whether crimped into the cannelure. I also broke a k/hammer doing it.
    Much easier with a bullet puller in the press.
    Also if crimped hard, the bullet may well have a crimp ring deforming it somewhat.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Don't they teach youze guys anythin'?? Set your seater die to seat the bullet about .015" deeper. Run them through, then use the kenetic hammer.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Don't they teach youze guys anythin'?? Set your seater die to seat the bullet about .015" deeper. Run them through, then use the kenetic hammer.~Muir
    In a word NO, very new to reloading and have not got to this chapter of the book.

Good plan Muir...never thought of that...
    I think you'd probably still have crimp mark on the bullet though.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I rather think that Muir's comment was aimed at the experienced guys who have broken hammers rather than yourself.
    Pretty much confirmed by Deeangeo's "facepalm" reply.

In a word NO, very new to reloading and have not got to this chapter of the book.

Don't worry Sam, I've been reloading for years and hadn't thought of that trick either.
    Muir has taught lots of us a thing or two over the years.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Muir if i do as you suggested will the bullets be okay to reuse or do i need to replace them?