Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red letter rats

red letter rats

I do believe I have possibly had a shoot of a life time.
    I got called out to a farm I had shot rats at before and was told they thought I may see a few.
    Previous visits had produced some where in the mid thirties between two of us using air rifles but last night I was on my own.
    I don't know why last night was different but I had 81 in the first hour and 140 in two and a half hours. They just kept coming. I managed to shoot them all from the same position which was good as I had to fill my rifle with air five times.
    Hooorah for pcp air rifles and night vision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20161107_22_55_36_Pro.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	76142

Very impressive! Certainly not a dull evening.

I'm definitely warming to the idea of night vision.

Great job. That's some haul. We had 80+ with the "day vision" on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I do believe I have possibly had a shoot of a life time.
    I got called out to a farm I had shot rats at before and was told they thought I may see a few.
    Previous visits had produced some where in the mid thirties between two of us using air rifles but last night I was on my own.
    I don't know why last night was different but I had 81 in the first hour and 140 in two and a half hours. They just kept coming. I managed to shoot them all from the same position which was good as I had to fill my rifle with air five times.
    Hooorah for pcp air rifles and night vision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20161107_22_55_36_Pro.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	76142
    That place has a problem.

thanks all. i still cant quite believe i got that many.
    They only had about 180 with the dogs when the chicken went. in years past they have had over 300 with the dogs.

takbok i wasnt convinced about night vision until having spent 3/4 of an hour looking for rats with a lamp for my friend to come along with his nv scope and shoot three rats in a minuet in complete darkness. i do think it really is the way forward for this type of thing. i was undecided on what sort of nv to get but got a photon. i like it because it feels like shooting the rifle normally as opposed to viewing a screen on top of your normal scope. the down side is it would be nice to be able to add it to my other rifles without changing scopes. but hey ho thats just being picky.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

no problem. any questions please ask away. i saw nv as a fad that would pass but it has transformed pest control for me. one thing i would add is it is very difficult to judge distance with nv hence why i use my .177 for rats. the flatter trajectory certainly gives you much more room for error when judging distance

Sounds like a cracking night
    I used to have a permission that had a rubbish heap that always provided a good supply of rats, spent many hours waiting for them to pop out for the chance of a shot,

Just curious but what do you do with so many dead rats?

If you think judging the range with NV for rats is fun imagine what it can be like with a fox once you've picked them up in the scope and you track them waiting for a shot opportunity

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    When I was pest controlling for North Dorset Council I saw some massive moves of rats.
    I even remember being called to one farm where rats were literally grazing on freshly sprouted barley in the middle of the day. Many were out 60yds or more from cover in broad daylight. i used 60kgs of bait in 3 days getting them under control.
    In the same area just shortly after the maize was harvested, it was not unusual to see packs of them feeding on the maize that was spilled on the road, again during the day.
    There was a blanket ban on any holiday during the first two weeks of November as this was traditionally a very busy period for rat movements.

It sounds like you were in the right place at the right time for one of these mass migrations.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Fantastic entertainment, and a service to public at the same time, We used to block up all but the last pop hole in the parlour, then let the russels go when the lights went on!, also lamping them in the poultry runs with subs & .410's. Weekends turning over muck middens with a pack of terriers. Solitary sitting in the barley store with a cat food can on the floor , .22 PCP running 29 foot pounds.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!