Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you FL size new brass

Do you FL size new brass

Is it worth FL sizing new PPU brass in 222 through and RCBS die? It going to be for foxing and crows/bunnies out to 300m tops. Will I see a benefit in accuracy as they're potentially more uniform and also more uniform once load development is done and the cases are resized for the first time and loaded again?

They should already be to SAAMI spec. I just neck size them, check overall length, chamfer and load. You may get some with dented necks which happens in transit/storage with handling so neck sizing as you say, is a way of ensuring consistency between them. I wouldn't bother FL sizing them as it works the brass for no real purpose. I have some new 223 in PPU and that was checked, neck sized, loaded and shot.
    Last edited by ChesterP; 09-11-2016 at 13:11.

You won't really work harden the brass at this stage if you do FL resize, I personally do simply to ensure they are all fit to chamber, just in case there are a few dents in the necks.

There is a very sound reason for FL resizing new brass: It helps assure that on the second loading, the results will be closer to those obtained on the first loading. I always do it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Is it worth FL sizing new PPU brass in 222 through and RCBS die? It going to be for foxing and crows/bunnies out to 300m tops. Will I see a benefit in accuracy as they're potentially more uniform and also more uniform once load development is done and the cases are resized for the first time and loaded again?
    I would FL size. Some new brass that I have bought has not been at all consistent. If you FL resize, you will know where you are at from the start.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Got to agree, F/L size new brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    There is a very sound reason for FL resizing new brass: It helps assure that on the second loading, the results will be closer to those obtained on the first loading. I always do it.~Muir
    This was my main logic as the dies I am using will be slightly different to those that originally formed the brass.

I only full length resize new brass if it won't chamber in my rifle. Otherwise, I just run a mandrel through the necks to take out any dings. I take Muir's point that new brass and full length resized brass may perform slightly differently.

Regards

JCS

I don't feel the need to FL resize new brass.

Factory ammunition doesn't get twice sized brass.