Section 5 expanding ammo is no more !!!

Beautiful. Well done to all involved!

Who's going to be the first to offer 'expanding' bullets for sale online in the UK?

It just needs Royal Accent now and it's law. Expanding bullets will no longer be subject to Sec5 and as such are the same a Amax or Sierra Match Kings. However, don't expect RFD's to be shipping these on the day it gets Royal Accent. It will, like everything to do with firearms legislation take its time to filter through. And you will always have the FEO's who disagree with the House of Lords and tell you so for the next 3 years until they catch up :lol:

Does this mean expanding bullets can be sent by post as FMJ can or does it just apply to made up factory ammunition? and when do the changes take effect?

I read it as all ammo including bullets. You can't have Sec 5 bullets and then once it's loaded it reverts to the lower category of Sec 1. However, just thinking.... will they make the actual expanding bullets section 1 ammo. If so .....No Shipping to home address ...as it falls under the same category as shipping live rounds. :doh:

Good news aye. A bit bitter sweet for me as I just sold, at auction, seventy Nosler Partition .270 WCF bullets and after comission got about £8.00 for them. Drat, drat and double drat!

I read this as a focus on reduced licensing efforts so the police no longer need Deer as good reason to possess expanding ammo for example in order to add the expanding ammo condition to FACs

not sure how that will play out with couriers

So presumably going forwards a box of expanding bullet heads will not count against ammo quotas until such time as they are loaded and assembled in to live rounds

Or will just the heads become section 1 on there own before assembly and still count as live rounds even when they aren't actually loaded into live rounds

A step in the right direction anyway

hmmm i wonder if thats why theyve been giving out sect7,s with the wording to possess on?still no answer to my email on that one,

So presumably going forwards a box of expanding bullet heads will not count against ammo quotas until such time as they are loaded and assembled in to live rounds

Or will just the heads become section 1 on there own before assembly and still count as live rounds even when they aren't actually loaded into live rounds

A step in the right direction anyway

I predict that eventually all bullets match and expanding will fall under section 1 ammunition. Like primers and powders were sucked into the Act. Whether they segregate expanding bullets from match bullets in regards to this particular amendment we will have to wait and see.
However, I expect that each force area in turn will have it own variation of this amendment a bit like powder. In N'hants no licence required, a few miles across cross the border into Oxfordshire and Licence required to purchase!!

I predict that eventually all bullets match and expanding will fall under section 1 ammunition.

You might lose that one. :D

The proposed amendment left expanding 'designed to be used with a pistol' as S.5, which accords with the EU Weapons Directive. Not sure how that leaves certain carbine cartridges?

Insert the following new Clause—
“Controls on ammunition which expands on impact
(1) The Firearms Act 1968 is amended in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).
(2) In section 5 (weapons subject to general prohibition), in subsection (1A), for
paragraph (f) substitute—
“(f) any ammunition which is designed to be used with a pistol and
incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on
impact;”.
(3) In section 5A (exemptions from requirement of authority under section 5), in
subsection (8)(a), after “which”, in the first place it occurs, insert “is designed to
be used with a pistol and”.
(4) In consequence of the amendment made by subsection (2), omit section 9 of the
Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997.”

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0055/17055-I(c).pdf

You might lose that one. :D

The proposed amendment left expanding 'designed to be used with a pistol' as S.5, which accords with the EU Weapons Directive. Not sure how that leaves certain carbine cartridges?

Insert the following new Clause—
“Controls on ammunition which expands on impact
(1) The Firearms Act 1968 is amended in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).
(2) In section 5 (weapons subject to general prohibition), in subsection (1A), for
paragraph (f) substitute—
“(f) any ammunition which is designed to be used with a pistol and
incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on
impact;”.
(3) In section 5A (exemptions from requirement of authority under section 5), in
subsection (8)(a), after “which”, in the first place it occurs, insert “is designed to
be used with a pistol and”.
(4) In consequence of the amendment made by subsection (2), omit section 9 of the
Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997.”

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0055/17055-I(c).pdf

Well that's one of those I hope I wrong Orion, because I got enough Amax bullets to sink a small ship :thumb:

I got to ask, will this mean Amax will be deer legal, as they will be no definition between sec 1 and sec 5?

Nice one C.A. It will make us here on the SD able to post off our bullets and cut out the middle man :tiphat:

Re 'pistol' ammunition expanding bullets, HO Guidance to FLOs already allows expanding bullets and ammunition suitable for leverguns with tubular magazines to be exempted for the existing legislation, and most dealers sell them to carbine shooters on production of an FAC with suitable variations.

So, you'd be very unlikely to get anybody to sell say 9mm expanding bullets / 9mmP ammo, likewise 10mm/.40 to you even if you have a straight-pull or SGC lever-release carbine in that calibre as they use box mags, but 38 Spcl, 357 Magnum, 44S/Mag, .44-40WCF and 45 Colt and their bullets shouldn't present a problem.

Back